93 YJ automatic tranny slip

93 YJ I6 Whilst accelerating on the heavy side the transmission noticeably 'slips' - (RPM's stay elevated, engine revs, no drivetrain response).

This just recently has reared its head, I know zilch about tranny's. Fluid level is appropriate and fluid color is a 'warm' red (not new red, not severally off color).

Any thoughts?

tia paul

Reply to
paul

Some, and one of them might even be correct. :]

First, make sure the kickdown cable on the throttle body is attached and adjusted properly. There is a button you push then you can move the cable body back and forth. Adjust it just a tiny bit at a time. Further away = harsher shift closer = more slip.

Your Jeep should have a diagnostics on the overdrive lamp. Cycle the ignition on-off-on-off-on (not start) then watch the lamp by the OD button. It blinks the same way the check engine lamp blinks two sets of blinks with a pause in the middle

55 = end

If it's been a while I'd suggest getting the fluid and filter changed. And while the pan is off, the bands adjusted.

Reply to
DougW

Doug,

My '93 YJ I-6 auto tranny doesn't have an OD button (but I wish that it did). Was that optional in '93? Where would it have been located? BTW, mine has dealer installed Jeep A/C underdash unit. Could this have eliminated/covered the OD control and light?

Regards,

Doug Gavilanes Garden Grove, CA.

DougW wrote:

Reply to
D Gavilanes

No, nowhere and no.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Doug, I had the fluid and filter changed at a local place and was told that the transmission was a Toyota (?) and there are no adjustment bands in it....?

The slip is still evident, I will check the error codes tomorrow am.

I found this handy tip on adjusting the kickdown cable:

thanks paul

Reply to
paul

Error codes are:

12 = battery disconnected within last 50 key cycles (oddly enough the other day it was rather cold in the morning and the jeep cranked VERY slow and hard, when it finally started I noticed that the radio clock had reset itself and all my pre-sets were lost - indicative of a battery disconnect). and 33 = a/c clutch relay circuit, open or shorted. The only A/C I have is when I take the top and doors off.. . .
Reply to
paul

As far as engine codes, both of those would be normal for you. the 33 throws if you don't have a/c.

I was thinking in terms of the 93 ZJ which has an overdrive and associated light. That light will blink out codes from the transmission computer.

Do you know what model of transmission you have? It's going to be either a 32RH or AW4

My ZJ has the 42RE, which is different from yours so you may not have the blinky doodad.

As for the how-to on adjusting the cable. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't To be safe note where the cable is before you start adjusting.

My diagnostics shows only a few things for slip. Bands, low fluid, kickdown cable, and blocked valvebody.

My knowledge on transmissions is limited to the basic fluid/filter changes. Never had any of mine apart.

Reply to
DougW

The Wranglers got the 32RH three speed because of length considerations.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I also know next to nothing on transmissions,,,,

Now the big question,,, I am running 33 x 9.5's with a D35 -3.07 rear end, am I putting too much work on my transmission because of this? (I6)

thanks paul

Reply to
paul

Damn! How do you get this thing moving from a stop? I have enough trouble with a 4.0, 3.07 diffs and 235/75x15's (about 29")!

You may not be stresssng the tranny too much, but your toothpick sized axles in that D35 are way over loaded in torque. Bill Hughes will want a picture when they snap .

I thought all the autos came with 3.35, 3.54 or 3.72 ratios and only the manual trannies got the 3.07. This must be one bastardized YJ - does it idle at 75 mph?

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I always bring a camera when I go off-road cause I know Bill has his wall-o-shame for D35's. But then again I try to drive smart,,,, she idle's well also; 35 mph ;-)

I am still concerned about the transmission. Last night (for the 2nd time in a week) when cranking, it starts off incredibly sluggish and slowly starts to crank up the more times I turn the key,,,,, could something in the transmission be binding up which would then put a load on the starter when trying to crank?

thanks paul

Reply to
paul