93 YJ intermittent starting problem

93 YJ I6 automatic Recent (last 4 months) changes - new distributor cap, wires and plugs, new battery, and new fuel filter.

Periodically (last 2 months) the jeep will crank and crank and crank and not fire until the gas pedal is depressed fully.... and even then it sometimes hesitates and 'chugs' before normal idle. Frequency of this starting problem is increasing to about 75 % of the time.

Other times it fires right away......

Either way once the jeep is running there is no noticeable problem (lugging or chugging) which would lead me to believe that there is not any fuel restriction.

Would a bottle of fuel injector cleaner be a good place to start?

Any other thoughts?

thanks paul

Reply to
paul

Sounds like a bad fuel pump relay.

Reply to
yjarray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Just a thought Could be a bad fuel pump ground. When it is hard to start watch your gas guage if it pegs to full its the ground which is on a bolt that affixs the ebrake to the firewall. This thread mentions it.

I have the same problem but I still have not found the wire as my rig had no ground wire on above bolt. Mine happens rarely and by playing with the e-brake she starts. Plan on pulling the dash this spring to fix aome stuff and hopefully will find the problem then.

Reply to
ufatbastehd