93 YJ vibration problem

ok here goes: INFO:

93 YJ I6 4.0L Old Man Emu 2.5" suspension lift running 30" BFG (only for about 2 months) on a Dana 35 (yes Bill I know)

Last weekend had problem after running on the freeway for about 30 minutes - after getting off freeway fluid was dripping onto exhaust and burning - Bill suggested valve cover gasket leaking. It does appear to be just oil, fluid levels (tranny, oil are good) I have not done anything with this as of yet.

Same thing occurred last night - normal freeway driving does not produce a leak (normal = not stomping on the accelerator to get around the idiot on the cell phone at freeway speeds).

Yesterday (prior to the above reoccurrence) I started to feel a vibration in the gas pedal. Vibration is only felt while in gear and accelerating.

This morning while accelerating ( 0 - 20 mph) a metallic 'clinking' noise is heard along with the vibration, both increase with speed - but not in reverse.

This afternoon the 'clinking' noise is no longer noticeable,,, but vibration is now noticeable in the gas pedal and slightly in the steering wheel.

Checked lug nuts - good. Inspection underneath

- drive shaft u-joints seem good

- muffler/ heat shields are not loose

- passenger side rear leaf spring, one U-bolt is bent - no witness marks (it may have been bent when I installed it but do not recall seeing it bent). Bend is on the inside U-bolt with both threaded ends 'pushed' towards differential.

Last time off road was 1 month ago. The vibration is not severe, but it is noticeable and it wasn't there 2 days ago.

I do not know where to go from here - what else should I inspect, and any recommended inspection methods are appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
jaco

jaco did pass the time by typing:

Motor and tranny mounts

Harmonic balancer

DougW

Check the runout in both the front and rear drive shafts. Running a 3" lift on my '02 caused the stock rear TC output shaft to bend significantly, then the front shaft's slip member wore out prematurely from being slightly overextended. Both issues caused vibration problems while the u-joints seemed fine.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand