93 Z J Headliner

Hi Guys, This might be a question for a more general auto forum, but you all have been really sharp on things in the past. I trust y'all. Anyway, driving down the road the other day, I felt something touch the top of my head. Thinking it was a fly or something, I brushed at it and found the headliner material hanging down over my head. Looking further (after I stopped of course) I see it's coming loose from several places and looking like the devil! Seems like it was really humid to make this come loose. Question is, how can I re-attach it to the under lining? I'm hoping somebody might say use a hairdryer since the adhesive is heat activated. I haven't tried anything yet. Any thoughts? Thanks guys. Denny

You are in for a miserable job. The only fix short of removing the headliner and replacing the cloth after cleaning off the old glue/foam is those upholstery screws and maybe some strapping....

The above site give some basic directions.... We did ours this summer and got our own fabric and used 3M headliner spray glue.

Mike

Mike Romain

The good news is that now you can go with the Cowboys and Indians motif that you've always wanted! ___________________________________________________________ tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco 03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5" 01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,

1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email) ___________________________________________________________

Mike Roma> You are in for a miserable job. The only fix short of removing the

Reply to
twaldron

How'd they get that picture of my headliner?!?

http://www.headl>

Reply to
Steve

You guys are great. Thanks for all the info. Great Web site. I had thought to make a tiny slit in the droopy area and insert a thin aerosol tip from a WD-40 can connected to a 3-M adhesive. Might work but would not be very elegant. Guess I'll go the full route. Any reason I couldn't use the same cloth? I guess the original has some foam backing that's necessary. Thanks again for the great help. Where would I find the Cowboy and Indian motif you mentioned TW? Heheh. Actually, there might be some fun things to do. Hmmm. Denny

My wife got creative for 'her' headliner. Black with stars and planets....

You can get about any cloth you want. Figure you will have a seam to deal with. I managed to match the design at the seam pretty good but got some glue overspray. A gust of wind just at the wrong time...

The old foam needs to be cleaned off the backboard and the original headliner is tissue thin. I doubt it would clean.

Mike

D wrote:

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Aug./05
Mike Romain

The foam is the part that fails. If the foam is bonded to the fabric, then the answer is no, you cannot reuse it. You can find suitable foam, fabric, and adhesive at sewing supply shops. You can even find fabric with foam backing sometimes. That is what will give the best results. The problem I ran into when I tried that route was finding something wide enough. The adhesive is tricky too. If you don't use exactly the right amount, it will either soak into the foam and cause a lumpy finish, or let go later causing a sagging headliner. The second time you do this it will be easier.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

JoAnn fabric stores have head liner material with the foam on the back and a variety of colors. We did a 89 XJ over a year ago and it's holding up well. We used 3M 77 contact glue but others report having trouble with it.

JoBo.

Reply to
Jo Bo