93 ZJ Brake lamps

Hi There,

All the brake lights (stop lamps) are not working in my 93 ZJ today. The VIC did not report any issue.

I checked the 15A fusable link at the position 2 of the inside fuse box. It is intact. I am planning to check the brake switch at the paddle.

Is there any other things that I should be aware of or need to check?

Thanks for your comment in advance

Paul

93ZJ V8
Reply to
Bogey Buster

All of them includig the upper lamps? Any one of the lamps going out or the ground going will trip the LOM module and show up on the VIC. LOM==Light Outage Module (behind the little door by the spare tire)

That would be my next suggestion. It does walk off, but usually that results in the lamps being on all the time.

The brake switch has six pins the 18 gauge Red with a light green stripe is the 12V from fuse#2, the 18 gauge White with a Tan stripe is the line back to the brakes. if you jump these and the lamps come on then you know it's the switch.

If you have a multimeter you can simply check for voltage on both sides.

Should you need more information just ping me in this froup. I've got the full service book and more than your basic metric arseload of experience on this beast. :) My site probably has some information you will need.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks Doug,

Yes, the upper lamp does not work too.

I reached brakelight switch at the paddle and did the testing outline by you. The brakelight came alive when I jumped the wires. Afterward, I pulled the brakelight switch by rocking it up/down and pull it rearward. Just out of curiosity, I reconnected the wiring of the switch and the brakelight lighted up. I pushed the switch and the brakelight was gone consistantly.

In my case, the issue was that there was no free play at the threaded brakelight switch. (The switch's push rod was too close to the paddle) I installed a remote starter many years ago. The remote starter box is hided on the steering column and behind the brakelight switch. After years of stop and go driving, the remote starter box might hammered the threaded brakelight switch into no free play.

I tied down the remote starter box and adjusted the free play by try and error. The brakelight works again. :)

Thanks again for you help in this diagnostic.

Regards

Paul :)

Reply to
Bogey Buster