94 Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8. ..If Cold, Tranny wont go into drive

Was just given a 1994 Grand Cherokee. V8 5.2 engine.

I live in the northeast so the outside temp dips down to zero overnight.

I went to use it the other AM after a zero degree night. It fired right up, but when I shifted into drive, nothing. It behaved as it was in neutral.

I discovered that after about 20 minutes of idling it works again. I dont make a habit of driving a vehicle ice cold, but this seems really weird to me. Especially the 20 minute wait. If there was a piece of electronics that doesnt let one drive the thing untill it's warmed up that would make sense, but that would account for five minutes not twenty.

Any Insight?

Reply to
mpdsville1

Most likely needs the transmission fluid changed - may even need it done a couple of times or even flushed. I'd be changing all the fluids anyway.

Reply to
Will Honea

That normally indicates a low fluid situation.

Hmmm..... You should post all the problems in one thread because they may be connected.....

A stalling issue can be a dirty connection at the TPS which also controls the transmission shifting.... This is located on the throttle body.

All the low power computer sensor plugs and sockets can benefit from a clean with a spray contact cleaner. Electronic stores sell this. It is a cheap possible fix before spending money anyway.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Was just given a 1994 Grand Cherokee. V8 5.2 engine.
Reply to
Mike Romain

Though the time you cite certainly points to a problem even getting the transmission fluid to circulate at all, here's an idea -- the next time you run up against that problem (by the sound of it, we're talking about tomorrow AM), put it in neutral for 30 seconds or a minute and see if your problem changes at all. "Park" circulates transmission fluid through an abbreviated route, "Neutral" circulates through the entire system...

Reply to
Jon

I know this is a longshot, and I haven't read all the posts about this problem, but you might have some water in your transmission fluid, which would explain the time it takes for the trans to work. Pull the dipstick and see if your fluid looks like strawberry milk when it is warm. It is possible the water in the fluid is freezing at night and not allowing the fluid to flow through the proper circuits in the trans.

Chris