95 Cherokee A/C Problem

I went to turn on the A/C for the first time this year on the Cherokee, and got nothing! (It worked fine last year.)

It appears the clutch is not engaging, there is no power to the clutch. A quick swap of the relays made no diffrence.

Is anyobe aware of a thermal limiter fuse seperatly in the circuit (such as GM's)? Any ideas where to look first? Unfortunatly I don't have a shop manual or wiring diagram available, so if anyone knows where a wiring diagram may be posted on the net, that would be a help!

Thanks for your help on this!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

With the '96, if the coolant's low (say from a leak), the ac won't run. But, it should have been running ('96) for you in defrost setting. Maybe start there ... does it run in defrost?

Reply to
Bowgus

Clarification ... I should have written refrigerant ... not coolant.

Bowgus

Reply to
Bowgus

Dave did pass the time by typing:

There are two interlocks. A high pressure limit switch on the compressor output and a low level/cycle switch on the accumulator. If your low on R134a like I suspect the low limit switch is probably not allowing the compressor to run.

You can force it to run but should measure what pressure you have first.

All it takes to bypass the low limit switch is to short out the harness pins.

If your low, only add R134a, do not add additional oil.

FYI, locally a repair/recharge runs about 150-200$

as for a schematic..

DougW

DougW did pass the time by typing:

Need to add something.. Don't force it to run more than it takes to suck in the recharge coolant or test the system. That's simply a test, not a solution for low refrigerant.

Reply to
DougW