95 XJ rocker panels

Anyone replaced rusted out rocker panels? Any tips or where to buy both sides? Replaced floor on pass side now for this.....

Thanks

Reply to
TF

After shredding my stock rockers on the trail, I replaced them with

2x6x3/16" box tube steel.

Didn't cost much for the steel, pretty easy to build and install with a grinder and a mig welder. Mine also double as cushion tanks for onboard compressed air system.

Highly recommend something like this if you do any off roading. If not, sheet metal is cheaper and perhaps a bit easier.

Steve

TF wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Look around you can find replacement panels for as little as $60 per side. They do require trimming and complete removal of the old ones, you will also have to remove the fender flares runningboards if you have them. I just used some light gauge sheet metal I already had (left overs from doing my floors) to form more of a cover, I removed about 90% of the old rocker (85% was rusted out).

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

I have seen them just plain cut out. It looked a bit strange but they are just a box hanging below the door anyway, the inside box is it's own animal.

I like the 6"x2" tube idea, that would stiffen it up a lot too I would think.

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I just got a set of rocker panels for my 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo from this site. Might have what your looking for.

Sign in as a guest to look around the online Catalog.

Reply to
k_902

If my XJ survives its next smog test (next year) I'll do the box tubing thing, I really just needed to cover up the huge hole from rear dog leg to middle of drivers door. It was real obvious and seeing how I run a few 400 series highways I've seen the cops/MTO pulling quickie safety blitz's and since the inside of the rocker has lightening holes into the cab (back of the carpet) I knew if I got pulled into one of those I would get 72 hours to fix warnings. Also at the time my exhaust was almost non existent from the cat back.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

That's who I looked at for replacements, I know of a small parts store that deals with them and can pick up dent and dings for 30-65% off. A gent at work replaced every body panel on his ford truck with dent and dings from them for a total of about $350.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Well, I have a wire feed flux core 'mig' welder and also have no rockers maybe we should have a rocker panel party some nice summer weekend?

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Awesome pics Bill... I will let Momma decide on sheet metal or 2x6... Yes she has input.... Looked at Cross Canada and it looks like the place to buy, I just cant figure out why there is a cutout section on the rocker picture for the 4 door...

Reply to
TF

MMMM flux core mig ahhhhhh!!!! I can bring the sawz-all and grinder. I do have vaca in July, wifey might be going to Niagara with her sister and mother for the first week of July, I'll have to see if "Grams and Popa" will be available for some kid watching. I'm game... Perhaps Brain will join us :D and we cam also attack your water pump problem too. I'll have to check with the boss closer to the date. Snow...

Reply to
Snow

The cutout is for the 'B' piller

is for the drivers side and is upside down.-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Cut out is for the door pillar post, if you look at yours you'll see the rocker goes around it.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

My son just changed my pump out for me and back flushed my heater core.

While I had the rad out, I welded up a metal strap down the side of my radiator where I snapped it in half and removed a couple end cores that were stretched beyond fixing so now have really nice heat again and hopefully a rad that will hold.

I gotta take her up the 400 highway where it is safe for a high speed run to see if the new pump will keep her cool above 75 mph or 120 kph. I will take her out of the slow lane and maybe keep along in the middle lane at 80 or 140 or so for a while to see. :-) The fast lane is too insane for a CJ....

If we can set up a date, I can let the rest of the local RAMJ+W folks know. A bunch will likely show up for moral support if nothing else or a general fixit party.

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain