95 yj axle woes

my new-to-me 95 yj's rear end is loud as hell and has a bent driver side axle. (im guessing hard wheeling and sand/water crossings are to blame) how much work might it be to swap in a whole rear end from an xj ? i hear they are simler/the same.

Reply to
kirayotaka

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Bill is right. Make sure you find the ratio from the tag on the pumpkin cover, and that the donor has the same one. There are reports, that the stock Dana 35c axle is not strong enough for the six cylinder engine. There are some interesting axle swap links here.

Good luck.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
RoyJ

Correct, and some of the XJ's were not Danas, but Chrysler's 8.25, which is closer in strength to a 44. Won't be a direct swap in without some welding.

A popular swap is a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer. Just make sure you get the right ratio.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

begin stupid questions... its a four banger. would the 8.8 be appropriate/an easier swap? is the ratio all id have to check? thanks guys.

Reply to
kirayotaka

Swapping either an XJ axle or a Ford axle will probably be close to the same, with either you'd have to fabricate spring and shock mounts, plumb the brake lines and replace the driveshaft. The Ford axle will be something like

1" narrower >> Correct, and some of the XJ's were not Danas, but Chrysler's 8.25, which >> is
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

ok then i guess i'll check the ratios on the explorers as well, but from the talk i hear i will likely be out of luck in either case. thanks

Reply to
kirayotaka

If you find an axle you like, but the ratio doens't match you can get new gears for it....

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

The 4 banger YJ should have a 4.11:1 axle ratio (but always check before making a purchase!!). This is a desirable ratio for an upgrade so the junkyard parts are not as easy to come by.

this might be a case of 'if you have to ask the question, you don't want to know the answer'. You do NOT want to do the XJ swap or the Eplorer swap unless you have a lot of experienced mechanics for friends or the bucks to pay a shop to do it right.

Around here a used YJ Dana 30 axle > >> Swapping either an XJ axle or a Ford axle will probably be close to the

Reply to
RoyJ

You have a tipo. Dana 30 is the front axle on this vehicle. Dana 35c is the rear. "c" stands for either "C-clip", "custom" or "crap" according to a lot of past posters here. In my experience, I haven't burned out the one behind my four banger yet. I would be leary of rebuilding one that is howling and has a bent axle shaft in it. That kind of stuff makes me suspect housing damage.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton