95 ZJ 4.0 transmission problem

95 ZJ (automatic, 100k) slips into neutral between 2nd and 3rd. I got the truck 2 years ago and I don't know when the transmission fluid was changed. Would flushing the tranny (and change the filter) solve the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Mike in Indiana

Reply to
WMS

If its low on fluid, possibly. Those are fairly hardy transmissions. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

WMS did pass the time by typing:

It might. Sounds like sticking valves or bands out of adjustment.

Reply to
DougW

I took it to the transmission place and hat it serviced. They found a very small amount of metal shavings in the pan. Then they offered to rebuild the transmission for $1,500-$1,800. I don't thinkt that is a good idea for such an old truck.

Anyway, theiy test drove it before they working on it and called it "a very mild 2-3 flare". (If this was mild, what would 'serious' feel like???)

On Saturday I went on a 200 miles trip and it seemed to shift much better. Now the 'flare' only happens within the first 10-15 minutes.

Looks like I have to keep my eyes peeled for a new truck.

Thanks for your input.

Mike in Indiana

Reply to
WMS

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks Bill, maybe the person who owned it before didn't know that. Well, an elderly lady... She told me that the place where she had it serviced "always took care of everything". Yeah right.

Mike

Reply to
WMS

Mike

FYI. I had the same trouble on my '96 JGC. Per a local Jeep mechanic, there is a gasket that over time shrinks when it does not stay lubed enough. It's a $4.00 part and $1000 to replace. Go figure!

I had the same trouble and noticed it more over the winter. As the trans gets warm, it far less noticable.

Come on summer.

Reply to
SB