96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!

Having a problem with my 96 Cherokee (100k) 4.0 with 4 spd auto and 4 wheel drive starting. Have new battery, starter (they even put in a second one, just in case) and ignition switch. It's doing just like it did before I started replacing items. It will start up just like it's supposed to for a week or so then it will suddenly not start, it's DOA when you hit the starter. Let it sit for awhile and it's ready to go. The problem will never occur when the mechanics have it so they can really test things. It's just starting to turn fall here and the mornings have been rather cool and humid and the problem has worsened. It will start right up but if I drive it a few blocks and turn it off, it will not start. I'm real hesitate to just replace the neutral safety switch due to the high cost, over $300 just for the part Anyone one else have similar problem or have any ideas. Rob Mills

PS, We did swap the starter relay with the one for the lights, same relay and it didn't help.

Rob Mills wrote:

Fist thought is to try starting in N rather that P if that solves the problem then it is your safety switch or the connector to it.

--
DougW

Have you cleaned the cables and grounds on BOTH ends and checked for excess resistance?

resistance?<<<

Yes, have cleaned them and they really look to be in good condition at both ends. Thanks anyway, RM~

How old are those cables? Sometimes you can get corrosion between the cable itself and the connector.

Jeff DeWitt

Rob Mills wrote:

Are you meaning inside (un-seen area) the cable ends where they are molded/crimped to the cable? They are the original cables (110 k miles) but look to be okay and have been cleaned. RM~

Yes, that's just what I mean.

When it's acting up you could try bypassing the cables one at a time with jumper cables, or even force a screwdriver between the connector and the cable. When it's acting up you could even just try wriggling the cables around and see if it makes a difference.

Jeff DeWitt

Rob Mills wrote:

If there is excess resistance there the cable will get hot.

You can also do a voltage drop test with and without a load.

problem then it is your safety switch or the connector to it.<<<

I don't believe I have tried that. I think I moved it through the gears and then back to P and tried it again. I'll see if I can get it to act up tomorrow and give that a whirl. Thanks for the input, RM ~

Could be the solenoid where the positive battery cable runs to first. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /

Rob Mills wrote:

The solenoid is on the starter and they have replaced it twice, I'm assuming that the solenoid was replaced twice with the starters. I will ask to be sure. Thanx, RM~

If it were me, and i didnt read all the posts, so sorry if im off base.. First off I would bypass the neutral safety sw. and see how it acts. I dont think I ever tried to start my car in gear :-)

acts.<<<

That was my first thought but they told me that this particular model with 4 speed automatic couldn't be bypassed.

Any way it is now fixed and lucky me, :( I got to buy a new neutral safety switch. Can't really complain because about all I have done to this Cherokee for the 1st 100 k miles was plugs, plug wires, brakes and etc.. Have never even had to align the front end, no it's not been off road and I do slow down for railroad tracks, speed bumps and chug holes. Yeah, I know, I lead a boring life. :) RM~

You are in for a shock, the new switch will run you over $300.00.....

There are write-ups on rebuilding them, here is one: http://www.dirtdevils.org/XJNutralSwitch.htm

Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id !15147590 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

Rob Mills wrote:

Thanks to all who responded, it's been helpful. I'm going to start the morning off with a new set of battery cables because this morning it did start after I jiggled around on them, regardless they have a 110 k on them. If that doesn't work, looks like I'm looking at a new safety switch :( . Oh well, I'm 71 and this vehicle has cost me the least of any car I have ever owned and it is the first I have ever put over 75 - 80k on. Cheerios, Rob Mills

i have a new switch i can sell you for half the price of new and it's in the sealed package from jeep

Rob Mills wrote:

does it just crank and not start or not crank at all