96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!

Threaded View
Having a problem with my 96 Cherokee (100k) 4.0 with 4 spd auto and 4
wheel drive starting.
Have new battery, starter (they even put in a second one, just in case)
and ignition switch. It's doing just like it did before I started replacing
items. It will start up just like it's supposed to for a week or so then it
will suddenly not start, it's DOA when you hit the starter. Let it sit for
awhile and it's ready to go. The problem will never occur when the
mechanics have it so they can really test things.
It's just starting to turn fall here and the mornings have been rather cool
and humid and the problem has worsened. It will start right up but if I
drive it a few blocks and turn it off, it will not start.
I'm real hesitate to just replace the neutral safety switch due to the high
cost, over $300 just for the part    Anyone one else have similar problem
or have any ideas. Rob Mills

PS, We did swap the starter relay with the one for the lights, same relay
and it didn't help.

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!

Fist thought is to try starting in N rather that P
if that solves the problem then it is your safety switch
or the connector to it.

--
DougW

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!
Have you cleaned the cables and grounds on BOTH ends and checked for excess
resistance?

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!

 resistance?<<<

Yes, have cleaned them and they really look to be in good condition at both
ends. Thanks anyway, RM~

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!
How old are those cables?  Sometimes you can get corrosion between the
cable itself and the connector.

Jeff DeWitt

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!

 Are you meaning inside (un-seen area) the cable ends where they are
molded/crimped to the cable?
They are the original cables (110 k miles) but look to be okay and have been
cleaned. RM~

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!
Yes, that's just what I mean.

When it's acting up you could try bypassing the cables one at a time
with jumper cables, or even force a screwdriver between the connector
and the cable.  When it's acting up you could even just try wriggling
the cables around and see if it makes a difference.

Jeff DeWitt

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!
If there is excess resistance there the cable will get hot.

You can also do a voltage drop test with and without a load.

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!

 problem then it is your safety switch or the connector to it.<<<

I don't believe I have tried that. I think I moved it through the gears and
then back to P and tried it again. I'll see if I can get it to act up
tomorrow and give that a whirl. Thanks for the input, RM ~

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!
     Could be the solenoid where the positive battery cable runs to
first.
        God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHughes3rd@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!

The solenoid is on the starter and they have replaced it twice, I'm assuming
that the solenoid was replaced twice with the starters. I will ask to be
sure. Thanx, RM~

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!
If it were me, and i didnt read all the posts, so sorry if im off
base.. First off I would bypass the neutral safety sw. and see how it
acts.
I dont think I ever tried to start my car in gear :-)

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!

acts.<<<

That was my first thought but they told me that this particular model
with 4 speed automatic couldn't be bypassed.

Any way it is now fixed and lucky me, :(   I got to buy a new neutral
safety switch. Can't really complain because about all I have done to
this Cherokee for the 1st 100 k miles was  plugs,  plug wires, brakes
and etc.. Have never even had to align the front end, no it's not been
off road and I do slow down for railroad tracks, speed bumps and chug
holes. Yeah, I know, I lead a boring life. :)
RM~

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!
You are in for a shock, the new switch will run you over $300.00.....

There are write-ups on rebuilding them, here is one:
http://www.dirtdevils.org/XJNutralSwitch.htm

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Canadian Off Road Trips Photos:  Non members can still view!
Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter prob/thanks all
Thanks to all who responded, it's been helpful. I'm going to start the
morning off with a new set of battery cables because this morning it did
start after I jiggled around on them, regardless they have a 110 k on them.
If that doesn't work, looks like I'm looking at a new safety switch :( . Oh
well, I'm 71 and this vehicle has cost me the least of any car I have ever
owned and it is the first I have ever put over 75 - 80k on.
Cheerios, Rob Mills

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter prob/thanks all
i have a new switch i can sell you for half the price of new and it's in the
sealed package from jeep

Re: 96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!
does it just crank and not start or not crank at all

Site Timeline