96 Cherokee 4.0 starter problem. SOS, Help!

Having a problem with my 96 Cherokee (100k) 4.0 with 4 spd auto and 4 wheel drive starting. Have new battery, starter (they even put in a second one, just in case) and ignition switch. It's doing just like it did before I started replacing items. It will start up just like it's supposed to for a week or so then it will suddenly not start, it's DOA when you hit the starter. Let it sit for awhile and it's ready to go. The problem will never occur when the mechanics have it so they can really test things. It's just starting to turn fall here and the mornings have been rather cool and humid and the problem has worsened. It will start right up but if I drive it a few blocks and turn it off, it will not start. I'm real hesitate to just replace the neutral safety switch due to the high cost, over $300 just for the part Anyone one else have similar problem or have any ideas. Rob Mills

PS, We did swap the starter relay with the one for the lights, same relay and it didn't help.

Reply to
Rob Mills

Fist thought is to try starting in N rather that P if that solves the problem then it is your safety switch or the connector to it.

Reply to
DougW

Have you cleaned the cables and grounds on BOTH ends and checked for excess resistance?

Reply to
billy ray

problem then it is your safety switch or the connector to it.

Reply to
Rob Mills

resistance?

Reply to
Rob Mills

How old are those cables? Sometimes you can get corrosion between the cable itself and the connector.

Jeff DeWitt

Rob Mills wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
Rob Mills

Reply to
Rob Mills

Yes, that's just what I mean.

When it's acting up you could try bypassing the cables one at a time with jumper cables, or even force a screwdriver between the connector and the cable. When it's acting up you could even just try wriggling the cables around and see if it makes a difference.

Jeff DeWitt

Rob Mills wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

If there is excess resistance there the cable will get hot.

You can also do a voltage drop test with and without a load.

Reply to
billy ray

Thanks to all who responded, it's been helpful. I'm going to start the morning off with a new set of battery cables because this morning it did start after I jiggled around on them, regardless they have a 110 k on them. If that doesn't work, looks like I'm looking at a new safety switch :( . Oh well, I'm 71 and this vehicle has cost me the least of any car I have ever owned and it is the first I have ever put over 75 - 80k on. Cheerios, Rob Mills

Reply to
Rob Mills

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
djdave

acts.

Reply to
Rob Mills

You are in for a shock, the new switch will run you over $300.00.....

There are write-ups on rebuilding them, here is one:

Mike

Mike Romain