96 Cherokee, 4.0, whats wrong

It was parked for a day and a half and then would not start. When jumped it started but immediately died.The mechanics at the shop I use are going nuts trying to locate problem. They have elect power at every place it should be but it still won't start and keep running. They have checked alternator, injectors, crank sensor, fuel pump (pump was replaced 30 days ago). They are detecting a small drain on battery that they have not been able to locate as of yet. They do say the distributor is worn but don't think that is causing the problem.

Any one have any ideas? It has 125K on it. Rob Mills

PS, I did notice a bit of roughness in engine just before I parked it but it wasn't real bad.

Reply to
Rob Mills

coil, wires, rotor, cap, and plugs? ASD relay (automatic shut down).

Generally when the 4.0 refuses to start and has roughness it's the CPS sensor going bad. CPS sensors are hard to test and even look "ok" even if they are not. But for certain if it's dead the engine will not start. Sometimes just removing/cleaning/reconnecting the sensor is good enough.

DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

If your battery has developed a bad cell, it will act like that. They newer Jeeps won't run on a punky battery.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > It was parked for a day and a half and then would not start. When
Reply to
Mike Romain

What codes does the ECM give? They did get the codes right?

Reply to
PeterD