96 Cherokee driveline noise problems?

I have a 96 Cherokee w/ 4.0 and the chrysler factory limited slip rear end. 155,000 miles.

I have two problems with it i need to address:

  1. A while ago i started to get a growning noise coming from the rear end dur sharp corners.(parking lots etc) once in a while. I didn't worry about it as it didn't get anyworse....Well now it has. Now it makeing a clunking sound as well esp bad in reverse and during tight low speed cornering (parking lots). Also once in a while there seems to be a power hickup when these noises come to life.

  1. Sometimes when i come to a stop while front wheels are at an angle, or when i straiten the while while sitting still i get a "clunk" sound coming from the front end.

Should i stop driving it?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

Brian

Reply to
Bman

Could be low or the fluid needs changing. Best have a good local shop drop the diff cover and look. Remember it needs the proper additive or the limited slip will eat itself.

Drag link, tie rod, Track bar, balljoints, bushings. You need to get this looked at. Any good alignment/front-end shop will be able to diagnose the problem. Sometimes even dealerships have a free checkup you can use. Shop the job around as front end work is not terribly difficult.

Reply to
DougW

I would be checking the rear diff for fluid level. They can and do get water in them sometimes too.

The noises can be related or not. The growling noise that turns into a clunk is usually a blown u-joint, the growl that is the rear end turns into a bang usually...

To check the u-joints you can block the wheels, put it in neutral and go under to look and wiggle the driveshaft. I would be looking for rust around the u-joint bearing caps too.

The noise in the front sounds like a couple things. One the u-joints at the end of the axles do wear out and you get noise when you turn.

When you are stopped and get the clunk with the turn of the wheel, I suspect the trackbar bushing has gone bad. You can observe it from down under while someone cuts the steering side to side.

Mike

Mike Romain