96 GC LTD V8 Real-world fuel efficiency?

I am contemplating replacing my aging 1990 Cherokee LTD SelectTrac (15 mpg max) with a 96 GC LTD V8 and would like to find out what the real world fuel economy is. I had a 95 LTD with the I6 and it topped out about 21 mpg, but I am leery of the V8. Anyone have any experience with this vehicle?

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

I am contemplating replacing my aging 1990 Cherokee LTD SelectTrac (15 mpg max) with a 96 GC LTD V8 and would like to find out what the real world fuel economy is. I had a 95 LTD with the I6 and it topped out about 21 mpg, but I am leery of the V8. Anyone have any experience with this vehicle?

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

I have a 97 GC Orvis (same as Limited but also includes tow package (3.73 rear and is factory raised one inch). I always have the HVAC in auto. Stock tire size.

Suburban - stop and move around 14 mpg, short trips

Highway at 70 mph 18-19 mpg, if I'm really careful I can break 21 from Phila to WDC

Towing a 4000# trailer to and through the American and Canadian Rockies from Philadelphia and back 6460 miles (mostly at 70 mph on the interstates (the camper is only 65 inches high) 13.94 mpg

The GC has 85,000 miles. It has cost me one battery, two sets of brakes, one oxygen sensor, one tune up, one serpentine belt, oil changes every 5,000 miles, all fluids at 30,000 miles.

Still have original hoses (mechanic and I are happy with them), just replaced headlights (in case), no rust, one power window connector is a pain, engine doesn't leak oil

Its been off road (a few jeep Jamborees and other adventures) pulled my BIL's tractor out of a muddy ditch, towed trailer for maybe 10,000 miles and have never left me anywhere!

Hope the numbers/info help

Howard

Dana Rohleder wrote:

Reply to
Howard

Is it a V8?

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Our '93 JGC V-8 gives that same kind of mileage in those conditions.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

'96 JGC LTD 5.2V8 Tow Pkg 170K+ miles. Consistently 15-18 MPG over its 10 year life.

Reply to
Bob_M

Yes its a V8

Howard

Dana Rohleder wrote:

Reply to
Howard

Reply to
philthy

Savings offset by the repairs necessary for being hit in the rear end or the ticket for blocking traffic.

philthy proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I have a 97 ZJ Orvis V8 - get roughly 12 mpg driving around Philly, street driving only, not much above 25 mph..... Around 16-18mpg on the highway doing 65mph hth

Reply to
Paw

Bill, you too have posted messages that do not follow the rules of the charter. Please refrain from posting messages like this. All we need are a bunch of people filling this newsgroup with wav files. If this continues we'll never be able to post on topic messages.

Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That's the difference between you and me. I don't see anything wrong with your post or Tim's post. I wouldn't think that either one should be reported. That's your bag.

I know this is going to bother you. Bill, I'm leaving for now. I will not be responding to any more messages tonight, maybe not for a few days or more.

Get it, it's just messages.

Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

WHATS wrong with his post??? There's NO ATTACHMENT!!! It's just a LINK! Sheesh

noneyabusiness

It's just a link. Hell, most people's signatures contain more characters.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne