97 Cherokee - Fan keeps running after shut down

Evening folks. Got a problem with my Jeep. After I turn off the ignition, the fan keeps running. Don't remember this ever happening before. I understand some vehicles do this till the engine cools down, but I didn't think the Jeep did this. I did Google searches but could not find any reference to this specific issue.

I tried disconnecting the negative battery terminal for several minutes, but the fan came back on after I reconnected it.

Any ideas?

-- Thanks, Bill

Reply to
BG

BG did pass the time by typing:

Without the schematics I'm just guessing, but a stuck relay could do this. Or that could just be the way it works and you never noticed before. :)

Reply to
DougW

Jeep fans can come on any time as far as I know. It should say so on the fan shroud as a warning sticker.

Mike

Mike Romain

"DougW" sed:

Could be the later I went back out a half hour later, and it had stopped. Drove a half hour and it did it again. I'm thinking that my belts are loose/need replacing and it's running hotter than normal?

Take care, Bill

Reply to
BG

The temperature gauge will tell you if it is running hotter than normal, but with a vehicle this old it certainly wouldn't hurt to retension or replace the belts. Usually they will squeal when they start having problems, but sometimes not. Sometimes they will just fall off.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
Dave

Thanks to all you who suggested the stuck relay, that's exactly what the problem was.

-- BGhouse

Reply to
BG