97 cherokee strange cold weather problem

this happens only when the weather gets cold below freezing

the car starts and drives fine until engine warms up

then when I take my foot off the gas in order to slow down to stop at a sign or to make a turn, engine stalls and turns off

I can restart it immediately without problem but it will do the same thing next time I take my foot of the gas

any ideas about what may be causing this?? (if it can be any clue, while it's stalling headlights will dim, heater fan will slow down etc.)

Reply to
google sucks!

What if any codes does it have?

First thing I'd do is clean the idle air passage and throttle body.
the idle air motor is sticking it can cause a stall. Sensors and cold/cracked vac lines can also be an issue. As can the CPS sensor, but for now check the throttle body and idle air passage. (by the way, never run the jeep with the idle air solinoid out of its mount and connected. You will shoot the little pintle out of the motor and it's a real PITA to get fixed.)

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for trying to help Doug. I guess it was waiting for me to post a message to this group... This morning it stalled twice withing 3 blocks while it was cold. Then I got on the highway and drove about 150 miles to a neighboring city and back to do a bunch of errands, stopping perhaps a hundred times along the way and it did not stall once...!

I miss the good old days when troubleshooting car problems meant checking whether you had spark and gas...

I'll let you all know if I discover the cause of this problem just in case others are experiencing the same.

Reply to
google sucks!