97 GC Heated Seats

Both my heated seats quit working. The dealer was able to fix the drivers side, but he said the passenger side thermostat is cooked and the only fix is to repace the entire seat base for $1400 (CDN).

Has anyone run into this and is there a more reasonable fix?

thx, james

Reply to
PoBoy

PoBoy did pass the time by typing:

for $1400(CDN) I'd get my passenger some thermal underwear and call it even. :) They make heat/massage units that can be powered by 12V.

I would say the dealer is full of shit, but then again some small parts do come attached to expensive other parts.

Write the folks at buymopar.com and chryslerpartsdirect.com to get another opinion. They are in the US but they can get you the part number and availability.

Reply to
DougW

-Seat Heaters - DIY installation. Not cheap, but cheaper.

Reply to
Jjsegr

Reply to
mic canic

James,

Do you have a factory service manual? The factory service manual gives a great schematic of the seat wiring. I had problems with mine (on both sides) and it ended up being a broken solder joint inside the seat cover. There isn't a thermostat per se. There is instead a device that changes resistance with temperature. This device can be checked with an ohm meter and can probably be changed. But, I doubt that the dealer sells this by itself. You may have to improvise. There is a separate circuit for the seat back and the seat. Your best bet is to look at the schematic and begin to troubleshoot.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Curtis '96 JGC

Reply to
Curtis Rager

No, i just have alldata, but i will order up a manual.

thx, james

Curtis Rager James,

Reply to
PoBoy

eBay. Watch for Jeeps in Florida. They've likely never had the seat heater turned on. Get one of those and you should be good for another 7 years.

Sorry, I couldn't help my self.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Snyder

What is the sway bar diameter on these things?

The dealer wants too much money for the cushions but the aftermarket guys can't tell me what size bar I have.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Snyder