'97 GC hesitation...

my '97 GC frequently has a brief hesitation after restarting a warm engine. (I6.) When cold, I never notice a hesitation at all. I can drive until it reaches operating temp. If I restart the engine before it completely cools down, it will hesitate some on the first acceleration. It will occasionally have a very mild backfire or 'pop' sound, then accelerate normally and run fine the rest of the drive. This has never happened when cold. It starts fine (within a couple turns of the engine..) Any ideas?

thanks, cal

Reply to
Cal

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Or coil. When my coil was going I got the same hesitation till it just simply wouldn't start. (too bad they won't let folks just hit the coil with a blast of freon to cool it off) :) That was an easy check.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I didn't mention that it only hesitates once after restarting. I can drive hundreds of miles, stop and go, and it never does it again....until I shut it off, walk away for a little while, and then restart before it completely cools off. Does that make any difference concerning your ideas? thanks for the help so far!

cal

Reply to
Cal

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
philthy

no fault codes. But I will try replacing the coil, checking wires and plugs. thanks for all the replies!

cal

Reply to
Cal

Reply to
philthy

philthy did pass the time by typing:

I built a "leak detector" out of a 110VAC Neon lamp from radioshack and a length of insulated wire. Just run one leg of the lamp to the chassis ground and the other down a dowell. If the lamp flickers you found a leak.

Fairly simple and cheap.

Reply to
DougW