97 Jeep Grande Cheerokee Ladrado 6cyc, 2WD

Ok I went out to eat last night and the car did something it has done before but been fixed before for doing.

I came out and went to turn on the car, and bam. No electrical power anywhere. Last time it did this, the battery cables where cleaned up and a new battery installed.

So ok, I am dead, and walmart is half a block down the street. I go and get a new battery. Well, by the time I get back the car is operational. I store the new battery and go home.

Then today, I go to a movie. We get out and the car starts and runs but the radio is off not on like we left it and the presets are all gone.

Now for the really strange part. On the way back, the check gages light comes on and the alternator gage shows 19volts. Turn the radio off and it goes back down to 13 volts for a few seconds and then back up. It goes down once on the way home. But is up at 19volts even after I turn off the car.

I disconnect the battery and hook up the charger see what the gage on that device reads. It reads 50%. I take that off. I am about to put the new battery in to see what that brings. But I have NEVER seen a car do this 19volts on the alternator gage. What kind of problem might I be looking at?

Thanks, David

Reply to
quincy451

RoyJ

Yea I replaced the battery. More for kicks than anything. Same problem. I had lights, I hit the starter and bam, no power anywhere. I will check wires tomorrow. Might try replacing the battery cable connections at the battery. There was a lot of corrosion there on the negative side when I first openned the hood at the resterant. But cleaning the connector briefly with pliers the only tool on hand at the time brought no relief.

Thanks, David

Reply to
quincy451

Don't forget that battery cables have 2 ends...

Mike

Mike Romain

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com proclaimed:

Replace any ground cable that ever shows corrosion. Something wrong with your charging system? The battery really shouldn't be building up corrosion at all around the battery terminals. I've got a 95 about to hit 100K and the battery cables are pristine at the connections. I do keep a set of those little felt washers underneath and a squirt of battery post paint, but other than keeping an eye on the voltmeter frequently, nothing special.

Reply to
Lon

I have the felt washers as well. I have had them for a couple years. I connect the battery charger to this car on boost and the positive does little or nothing upon connection. The negative does all kinds of things. First off I connect the connector and the changers is unpluged. But the lights in the car come on for the first time.

I move the connection around and various electric motors in the car come on. I can get exterior lights. But the car never starts. Always just a click and then the car is back to all dead. I have removed and reinstalled both battery connectors and cleaned them both about 6 times.

No go, thanks, David

Reply to
quincy451

What about the other ends of the cables like Mike said? I've seen cables where the corrosion traveled down the wire under the insulation. Cable looked good, but was green and fuzzy from end to end when you cut the insulation off it.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '74 XLH chopper(gone but not forgotten) BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow