97 jeep wrangler-- No gauges or radio working.

Hi,

I'm posting for a friend without a computer. He's got a jeep and the gauges and radio suddenly stopped working. He still has headlights, tailights, and the dome light, but when driving he can't tell his speed, fuel, or anything else. We checked and replaced the regular fuses and the big ones under the hood. If it matters he did have a aftermarket radio put in 4 years ago. Any ideas? Anyone encounter this before?

-J, Guy who lends his Crown Vic out now. :(

Have him smack the top of the dash really hard. The connector between the gauges and the dash comes loose.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Could someone have hotwired an aftermarket radio in there that is maybe blowing a fuse?

I know my son just did that. He put a stereo in a Dodge and one of the stock speaker wires has a slight short to ground. The stereo worked, but every time he pulled on the headlights, the dash light fuse would blow.

It was fun to track down the short, but we got it by reading voltage through the speaker wires using the meter on a hot with the speaker wires as ground.

Mike

Mike Romain

it could also be the ignition switch.. try hitting the dash first as stated earlier then try wiggling the key while it is in the "on" position

Reply to
Jeeper