97 JGC hard starts

Hello,

I just replaced the plugs and distributer cap and rotor on a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee because it was starting hard. It still starts hard after replacing those things. Usually I have to crank it over for a long time for it to start. Once it is running it runs and drives great. If the engine is already warm, it starts up fine, I only have trouble when it sits over night or for a while during the day...

Any ideas of what else I could check?

Reply to
99trooper

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks for the info...the checkvalve is part of the fuel pump right? Would I have to drop the tank to get the pump out?

Thanks

Reply to
99trooper

There is also a regulator on the fuel rail usually with a check valve for the return line so you would need to first check the pressure bleed off, then isolate which way it is going down if it is indeed the trouble. Bill's test will tell you for sure if that is the problem. It made no difference in our 4.0.

Our Cherokee got noticeably faster starting in the mornings when I replaced the ratty ground strap between the engine and the firewall. A quick test for that is to run a booster cable from the battery negative to the body and see if it starts right up after that.

Mike

99tro>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have a Jeep TJ 97, and I got the same problem. I did the test as you described below and the engine started fast, just as it did some time ago. So, the question I have, were is this valve and is it easy to replace?

Reply to
Denis Roy

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

ok, is it replaceable?

Reply to
Denis Roy

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

thanks, that's what i thought. had to ask

Reply to
Denis Roy

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

fuel pump or crank sensor

99tro> Hello,
Reply to
mic canic

Bill someone else posted about a valve in the fuel rail for the return line that also can cause the same pressure bleed off.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III
99trooper proclaimed:

Before you do that, try the simple test of turning on the key and wait for several seconds before you try to start.

You might want to repeat the above a couple times, turn it on, count to three, turn it off, then back on count to three and then try to start.

If that works, get your fuel pressure checked after a shutdown.

Reply to
Lon