97 tj stalling out in traffic

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas about this. I have a 97 tj automatic and for about 2-3 months it has been sputtering and sometimes stalling when I am idleing in traffic. it happens maybe once or twice a day. it also seems like when this happens and I start to go it is slipping gears then recovers and is fine. I have had it into 2 places and nobody can figure this out. It has also been leaking from near the transfer case for about a month. Transmission fluid is fine. Idle is fine. Anyone heard of this happening. i am almost about to take it to the dealership but REALLY do not want to do that. thanks

Bryan

97 TJ
Reply to
bspear78

Have you checked/replaced CPS (Crank Position Sensor) They are know to go bad with age. The tranny slipping in likley another seperate issue.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The throttle position sensor controls the idle speed and the shift points. It is known to get a bad connection and sometimes wear out. The best is a spray electronic contact cleaner, but WD40 will do in a pinch. I like to use dielectric grease on the plug's seal skirts to help keep it clean. We had to do ours every couple years for the last ten, but it saw lots of dirt and mud.

I also recommend cleaning and greasing the other sensor connections, especially the CPS one which is also known for it's bad connection issue. That causes up and stalls though, not rough.

Can you not get the fault codes on that with the key switch? You go on, off, on, off, on with the key just to the run position, not the starter, then count the flashes. The last two will be a 5 and a 5 or 55 for end of codes.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Was wondering if anyone had any ideas about this. I have a 97 tj
Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks,

The check engine light is not on, will I still get a diagnostic reading by doing the on, off, on, off, on trick?

and, does anyone know what the number would be for the throttle position sensor?

Reply to
bspear78

P0120 TPS Performance P0121 TPS Sensor Circuit Insufficient Activity P0122 TPS Circuit Low Voltage P0123 TPS Circuit High Voltage P0124 TPS Circuit Intermittent

And I think the key turn sequence is ON-Accessory-ON-Accessory-ON, but it's been a while (got a scanner to read fault codes).

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

You turn the key backward to get codes? Not on any I have seen, but I haven't seen them all.

The first forward click of the key is just the steering lock off, not Acc.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

On my '04 TJ you turn "backwards" to the accessory position (run the radio/tape/CD without having ignition on). Like you said the first turn "forward" just unlocks the steering column. I know I've had some vehicles where the accessory setting was a "forward" turn. I just figured since he had a '97 TJ it would be similar to mine.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0