97 TJ wiper problem

The wipers stop as soon as the switch is turned off, not when they return to the bottom of the glass. I figured it was the switch and took the opertunity to upgrade to intermittent. Same problem with new switch. my only guess is maybe a bad sensor on the control motor or something like that?!?

Reply to
ron

If they didn't screw with the design too much, it means your Jeep has lost the ground to the windshield or to the motor anyway.

When you shut it off, it sends power to a second line that has it's own ground as well as a copper slide inside the motor. The motor turns along the copper slide until it come to a gap, then it parks. If this second circuit is missing power from a bad switch or the ground, then when you turn the switch off, it stops the motor.

So basically when the motor is off, there is still one hot line coming to it. This is the line with the trouble.

I would first run a booster cable to the windshield frame or wiper motor case from the battery negative to see if that fixes it, if it does then the wire mesh ground from the engine to the firewall is likely toasted.

Mike

r>

Reply to
Mike Romain