'97 Wrangler Sahara - Pros/Cons?

There is a 1997 Wrangler Sahara for sale near me. It appears to be in very good shape. Looks like it has been towed behind an RV. I'm not familiar with the various changes and years of the Wrangler. I know this year went to all coil springs. Any comments good or bad about this particular year and model?

Reply to
Dick

Hey Dick...The '97 and up are awesome rigs especially once you disconnect the sway bars...I have an '03 and I run a local trail here which has some pretty crazy off camber sections...the first time I ran it, it's was a constant OMG OMG OMG...but after getting to know the capabilities of my TJ that trail has become a walk in the park...until one day our Jeep club decided to hold our annual Fall Crawl on this trail...we had a new girl to the club and she had a '94 YJ w/ a 4" Trail Master lift and 33" BFG all terrains, anyway, she got to the first steep hill with a slight off camber and didn't feel comfortable to drive her Jeep down and asked if I would please take it down for her...I really didn't want to but the poor girl just couldn't move... I soon found out why, the trail that I walk through with my TJ like a stroll through the park just became the scariest ride of my life, as where my Jeep would just flex out and keep all four wheels on the ground her YJ I had the rear wheel four feet off the ground due to stiff leaf springs and it scared the b-jesus outta me...hence why I feel the coil sprung TJ's rock and if it's only for the street...it's the nicest riding Wrangler...but please love thy Jeep and spend time with her on the trail :) It's a Jeep Thing! ;)

Reply to
4X4PLAY

Sahara is mostly a trim package. The coil springs are wonderful. I had a 95 Wrangler (YJ) and then went to a 98 TJ. It was pretty amazing. I would check the rig over well, especially underneath for signs of off road use, abuse, and such. Remembing that too clean underneath or in the engine compartent is often a sign of something being up. If you are going to off road the TJ is one of the best "out of the box" models in my opinion. You can do nothing too it other than airing down and disconnecting the sway bar and still have a very reasonable rig for light - med. four wheeling.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

I think I will go talk to them tomorrow. Don't know what trans or A/C, etc. it has. I suspect it has been babied. People have a nice house, and I suspect they came here to retire, then sold their motorhome and now want to get rid of the Jeep. I already have a JGC, but I am looking for something to hit the trails with. There is a local group that go out almost every weekend. Sometimes with 4X4's, sometimes with Quads. I can't afford both. They want $7,600 which seems to be mid-range for that year and model. Might be able to talk them down some. I would have to pay that much for a good quad, and the Jeep is a lot more practical.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

In article , Dick wrote: #I think I will go talk to them tomorrow. Don't know what trans or #A/C, etc. it has. I suspect it has been babied. People have a nice #house, and I suspect they came here to retire, then sold their #motorhome and now want to get rid of the Jeep. I already have a JGC, #but I am looking for something to hit the trails with. There is a #local group that go out almost every weekend. Sometimes with 4X4's, #sometimes with Quads. I can't afford both. They want $7,600 which #seems to be mid-range for that year and model. Might be able to talk #them down some. I would have to pay that much for a good quad, and #the Jeep is a lot more practical.

If it was towed, ask them how they towed it--what they did with the transmission (should be in gear), the transfercase (should be in N), and the steering wheel (should be unlocked with a key in the ignition). Let them answer the question with zero info from you about the right answers.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong