97 Wrangler stalling/idle problem

Hi,

I have inherited a 97 Wrangler 2.5L auto with a stalling/idle problem, I'm hoping someone here might have had a similar experience and can suggest some solution.

The vehicle stalls almost every time when going from reverse to drive, for example after backing out of a driveway. It does this whether hot or cold. Also, it'll stall occasionally when coming to a stop - the revs drop right down, there's some hesitation, then it dies. However, it's possible to start it right back up again.

The curious thing is that if I shift to neutral as I'm coming to a stop, everything is fine.

I guess this sounds like some sort of sensor issue? The vehicle has had recent plugs and wires.

Thanks in advance for any help, Keith

Reply to
Keith Orbell

Probably the Throttle Position Sensor which is mounted on the throttle body. They sell for around $60 and are easily swapped out in 5-10 minutes. All you need is the right size torx-head adapter for a 3/8" ratchet wrench for the two torx-head screws that hold it in place.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Hi Keith,

On my 91 Wrangler (4.0L), everytime I pulled in the clutch when stopping, the rpm's would drop way down to where the vehicle would shudder and occasionally the engine would stall before the rpm's would come back up to a normal idle speed. My problem turned out to be the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) which is mounted to the transfer case where the speedometer cable comes in.

Regards, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Hendron