97 ZJ Cranks, won't start

97 ZJ 5.2 Limited.

Was fine yesterday, this morning got in to go to work and it cranked like c razy but wouldn't start. Checked codes, showing 12, 21, 55. Checked all u nderhood fuses, all good. Swapped relays around, no joy. Standing behind it I can smell gas after cranking it for a while. No obvious drips underne ath. Any thoughts?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Gotta have fire, fuel, air and turbulence. Sounds like the spark is missing.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

12 = battery disconnected within 25 start/stops 21 = O2 sensor 55 = end of codes

None of those are critical or would prevent starting.

First check that your battery connections are nice and clean. Then crawl under and check for a burned wire to the O2 sensor(s).

I suspect that isn't your problem though. Likely the one thing that isn't checked which is lack of spark. (i.e. dead coil)

You can test it with one of these.

The other code that didn't throw could be the dreaded CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) fault. That will get you, but usually only happens when hot.

First check spark.

Reply to
DougW

Had Geico to it to the mechanic and let him deal with it. Just as glad I did--turned out to be the fuel pump--another big repair to fix a small part.

Reply to
J. Clarke