97 ZJ remote problem

The #1 remote on my '97 ZJ Limited is having problems. It was working intermittently, I changed the batteries, and now it seems to be dead. The Number 2 is working fine.

I've torn it down and cleaned everything that I can find that looks like a contact. Still no joy.

Time to see the dealer? Or is there some trick I've overlooked?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Just the few. Batteries the right type and in the correct way? Contacts touching and not bent, loose, or shorting across the battery.

Sometimes the buttons just give up. I generally take them apart and give a quick swish in contact cleaner, then let dry.

Fairly sure they don't need to be reprogrammed, but then again I ripped the 93 Infrared based system out and put in a clifford. longer range, remote start, window control, and aux output I use to open the garage door. :)

Thought about a newer/better system? If you can live without all the doodads they aren't that expensive.

Reply to
DougW

Also consider that the new battery may well be 'dead'... Happens, especially with the cheap Chinese versions.

Reply to
PeterD

I had a package of chinese *spit* aaa batteries that came with a cheap ass led flashlight. Paid 25c for it and just wanted the LEDs anyway. Went to open them up the usual way (by twisting and splitting the package).

and get this.

... bent the friggin batteries ...

Reply to
DougW

EBay.

Reply to
Lon

Unless the OPs remote is different, it should have LED indicator when you pusha da button. If that LED is nice and bright when the button is pushed, it is more likely to be the xmitter is hosed. If no LED, then look for batteries and check the small switches to make sure they havent cracked loose from the circuit board. Is repairable if you have good soldering skills. Would be mystified if it were to need reprogramming since the code is built into the unit, and I'd be disinclined to trust a remote that ever needed reprogramming UNLESS someone messed with the sensor and computer.

Dealer prices suck, eBay has all sorts of them.

Reply to
Lon

Well turns out that I'm an idiot. I put the batteries in backwards.

Reply to
J. Clarke

PEBKAC :)

Been there, done that.

Reply to
DougW

I have the best Chinese crap story of all...

Was installing something in the trunk of a car while on vacation at my mother's in Florida. She had my sister's drill and bits. Black bits, no-name plastic box.

Figured no matter how bad, they'd drill the two holes I needed to mount the thing.

Chucked up the first bit, and started, and bang, it *bent* at a 90 degree angle! Holy crap, Batman, it bent! Figured "a fluke" and grabbed the next bigger bit in the box.

It too immediately bent at a 90 degree angle!

The only time I've ever bent drill bits at a right angle!

Reply to
PeterD

Thanks for the update!

Reply to
PeterD

Smirk........ At least you were smart enough to find that and humble enough to fess up. Just like I've never put the chain saw chain on backwards............. Not.

Reply to
RoyJ

My 95 actually works, albeit flakily, with the batteries in bass ackwards. Not that there is a lot of difference between flaky and normal operation.

Reply to
Lon

Now that IS an accomplishment!

I did use a cheap ass file on a piece of aluminum once and broke all the teeth off the file. Guess it was for balsa wood only. :)

Reply to
DougW

Balsa probably would have dulled the teeth.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran