97 ZJ w/ATC - Blower Motor Resistor "Break in"

Just a few days ago. I had a burning smell when my ac would kick in-- check the blower resistor and saw the connector was discolored and smelled. So I changed the resistor and things seem fine other than sometime i still get a whiff of something "electrical".

Could this be the resistor "breaking in"? I have only driven the truck up to the corner store all week. I thought i might cruise for an hour and work the ATC a bit and see if it goes away.

Also, is it possible, for a blower motor relay degrade to a point where it would burn?

The ATC is working correctly, There is no odor on the new connector or discoloration on the new resistor.

The blower motor was changed in 2004.

thx, james

Reply to
jamest

Since the pack heats up under normal use, yes, it will smell "electrical" for a while.

Not usually. Relays stick, but generally they are rated for way over the load they are used for. The coil can go bye-bye, but it's such a thin wire it breaks like a fuse.

Roll down a window? :)

Reply to
DougW

I would suspect you have a connection going bad causing that wire to heat up. I would be carefully checking the socket that was hot for discolored parts inside and for any heat when being used.

Once these push on brass sockets have discolored from heat, the temper or spring goes out of them and they can continue to fail until the pigtail part is replaced. The pigtail part is just the socket with 3 or

4" of wire on it. You can sometimes get these at places like NAPA or autozone, the 'help' brand carries pigtails. Other than that, the individual brass sockets can be removed from the plastic plug by inserting a mini screwdriver down the back side pushing in a little clip so they slide out. Or a wrecker would have a 'pigtail' part to cut out of a dead Jeep.

I have also heard of the next connection upstream of the resistor pack going bad.

I have also seen the connection under the hood that plugs into the motor itself go bad, that happened on our Cherokee. This bad motor connection also smoked out our switch and resistor pack. It smoked out the switch on New years Day, on a bush run 25 miles from a phone at -30 or so. Nothing like bailing out into a snow bank with smoke just a pouring out looking for the fire extinguisher buried under all the gear.

That one was a real pain to figure out. All new components including the motor and it still acted up until I found the dead plug when I was jumper testing the new motor to see why it quit.

On a lot of occasions, the blower motor is just wearing out which causes a high draw on the circuit which can and does kill that resistor pack connection. You got about 6 or 7 years out of an OEM blower, was the replacement an OEM or aftermarket unit? No real matter, maybe it is worn again.

Oh, if you can smell the new resistor pack, it isn't long for this world, it is trying to let the magic smoke out again.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Just a few days ago.
Reply to
Mike Romain