98 GC Ltd 5.9 Sway Bar Specs

What is the sway bar diameter on this vehicle?

The dealer wants way too much for the chshions but the aftermarket guys can't seem to tell me what size bar I have.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Snyder

Bob Snyder did pass the time by typing:

Wrap a bit of string around the bar, mark where it crosses, then hold it against a ruler.

4wheel parts has good information and has been a source for me on those things.

Some reading. (4.0, but similar in aproach)

If you want OEM at a better than OEM price try the folks here
use them quite a bit. Just got motor mount from them atabout 20$ less each than the local dealer.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

To those replying...and not just you Bill the Third:

I never considered for a moment that the people reading and posting to this group were somehow mentally challenged. Too bad you thought that of me.

I did break out the micrometer and measure the bar. It shows 26.5 mm, which is not one of the aftermarket options.

It strikes me as odd that the dealer can pull up the right part number on this vehicle without a second thought and the aftermarket catalog lumps all

93-98 GCs in one basket and makes the customer figure it out. Perhaps it's because the dealer knows that the 14,000 plus of these manufactured all left the factory with the same size sway bar?

Now. I'll ask again. What size sway bar is on this vehicle? Would someone please be so kind as to respond with a numerical answer?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Snyder
26.5 millimeters equals 1.0433071 inches God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bob Snyder proclaimed:

Soooo, what *are* the aftermarket options. Are they in inches or millimeters?

Your measurement is pretty close to an inch, but presuming that the bar is really in millimeters and you are correct....either you measured wrong or the aftermarket parts aren't exact factory matches. Go figure...the typical reason folks go to an aftermarket bar is that they want to reduce body roll front and back, and may also want to reduce understeer slightly. This means going to a larger bar... with a bit more increase in the rear than in the front.

Or they all know something you don't.

I see aftermarket bars pretty close to an inch...exactly to be precise. Looks like you already got an answer, but it missed the whooshbird.

Reply to
Lon

Bob Snyder did pass the time by typing:

Actually quite a few folks that ask questions here are fairly new and in need of a clue. It's simply better to give the basic information first. No need to be a smart ass.

Shit, sorry I didn't read your mind. Maby next time you might include that information. Guess you didn't check the 1" bushings then or know that bushings are slightly smaller than the bar diameter.

Nothing odd about it, the dealer only has one part that works for any given application where the aftermarket has to accommodate many different vehicles.

..... Just a friendly reminder, no one here works for you or owes you anything.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

O-tay.

Reply to
DougW