98 Jeep Cherokee Window

The drivers window went down but roughly and now won't come back up. The switch activates the motor but the window doesn't move.

One the web I found that it's a 20 minute repair. Just remove the door panel and replace a powered strip - a $30 part.

Problem is I removed all the screws but the door panel won't come off.

An older Haynes manual says that because it's mechanically too complex,& requires special tools that you should take to a dealer.

Thanking you all in advance for any advice. I have the flu now so I'll sit on this problem for another day before giving the job to a dealer.

Henry

Reply to
MacCheeta

MacCheeta did pass the time by typing:

Your now going to learn about things called christmas trees. Basically once you get all (all) the screws out. You start at the bottom (watching the sharp plastic edges) and pry/pull. The trees can usually be reused a few times, just smoosh them back into shape.

Here is a linky.

Reply to
DougW

It helps if I put in the url BEFORE SENDING.... sheesh..

that should help.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
mic canic

And after you break all/most the door panel clips off, you can get replacements cheap at most auto parts stores under the 'Help' brand of parts.

A flat 'wonder bar' or other type of pry bar can help to pop them some days, if it is warm enough, if the moon is in the right place and if you hold your tongue just right.... Naw, they still are going to break... ;-)

Mike

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Look around you can buy a "tool" for helping with the removal of these, looks like a wide standard (flat) screwdriver with a notch in the end of it. Everyone needs a "new tool"

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

I still have the flu, & there's another storm coming my way so I decided that I'd best trust the dealer to fix the regulator.

Parts - $120 Labor - $240

Total cost after a discount and tax $370.59 to roll up a window.

I suspect that the cost is a violation of the trust we give Jeep and their dealerships.

Thank you all for your advice. I will definitly find the time to fix more things myself.

Henry

MacCheeta wrote:

Reply to
MacCheeta

It's a worse ripoff than you think: What likely broke is the little plastig "dog" inside the track. A 5 cent item in an assembly so poorly designed that it cannot be replaced. Examine the replacement assembly and you will see that the plastic (probably nylon) dog has been replaced with a steel unit, which should have been there in the first place. They know it's a bad design, but will not admit it.

Both of mine broke within 2 months of each other, one during a blizzard, leaving the window to fall to the bottom.

So...thousands of Jeep owners are left to pick up the tab once again. Kinda reminds me of the warped rotors they tried to make me pay to replace...

MacCheeta wrote:

Reply to
Gerald Cooper