98 JGC Road noise

I have an extremely annoying noise emanting from somewhere starting at

30 mph and getting louder and shriller as speed increases. Hard to pinpoint where it is coming from, but I'm going to say behind the front seats.

- rear drivetrain rebuilt under an extended warranty about 1 year ago.

- 106,000 miles.

- Just replaced the power steering pump and front rotors and pads.

- Jacked rear end off ground and ran in gear - sound is there, so it is not the tires.

- speed goes with mph, not rpm.

Likely causes? Suggestions for pinpointing problem?

Thanks. Doug B.

Reply to
Doug B.

Front to rear: rear bearig in the transfer case (low probability), u-joint (check for play or rust around the cap seals), pinion bearing (changes as load/accleration varies), carrier bearings, axle bearings (changes some with cornering loads). If you have the aluminum differential case, the carrier bearings are a prime suspect.

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
Doug B.