98 TJ clunk at acceleration

Mostly when I hit a pot hole in 1st or 2nd, it definitely feels and sounds like somethings falling apart under my feet or maybe the tranny. I had a mechanic lift it and take a quick look at the underside and everything's bolted down good. Anyone have other suggestions?

It's a 98 but low miles (26K).

Reply to
stephjeff

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, stephjeff from was injured because:

| Mostly when I hit a pot hole in 1st or 2nd, it definitely | feels and sounds like somethings falling apart under my feet | or maybe the tranny. I had a mechanic lift it and take a | quick look at the underside and everything's bolted down good. | Anyone have other suggestions? | | It's a 98 but low miles (26K).

Try another mechanic. Grab your shocks and see if you can cause a clunk (bad bushings.) Same with the transmission/transfer case. And anything else under there that you can grab. If you dont find anything, jack the front end up, placing it on jack stands, and try it all again. You can do it!

Reply to
Joseph P

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

bad tranny mount?

find another mechanic....

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
Greg Cole

Could be one of the bushings in your control arms. Put the jeep on a flat surface in 4lo and first gear. With the engine off lay under the vehicle and have a friend or two rock the jeep forward and back. Look at all the rubber bushings in the control arms...there should be little to no movement in the bushing from this small amount of force. Also check the track bars for movement while your down there.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Prinz

Every time I have a clunk on acceleration/deceleration, it's always been my rear lower control arm bushings. It's hard to diagnose without being able to watch from the outside while you "goose" the gas, to see if there is slop in the bushings allowing the axle to rotate under torque. I've just come to realize the stupid urethane bushings don't last all that long, and it's something I'm going to have to change about once a year.

If you have pro-comp or teraflex arms, I'd be willing to bet the bushings are your source of the clunk/thunk.

Reply to
Bob

Thanks for all this advice. I'll print this out and take it to a mechanic. No better advice than experience. Thank you.

Reply to
stephjeff

OFF-TOPIC TO STEPHJEFF ONLY: URGENT (re: your post about your LCD eye problems)

Stephjeff, if you read this, please respond, because both myself and several others have been corresponding over the past months, and we all share your health problem vis-a-vis monitors (as do many undisclosed others).

There's a common culprit to all of our problems, which I can tell you about including the science behind it, so if there's a way to reach you please let me know!

:-)

Reply to
Maiden