98 TJ O2 sensor

Hi guys, Has anyone changed their O2 sensors on a 98 TJ, 6 cyl.? My check engine light has come on several times due to an upstream o2 sensor fault. I went ahead and bought both sensors. The new downstream sensor is too big to fit into the cat. Its a Bosch 13272. The sensor I removed has a narrow tip, it looks like the upstream sensor. The new one has a shield of some sort that will not fit into the cat. I searched the archives, some other guy had the same problem. He ended up getting the right sensor from the dealer and it fit, but its very pricey. Anybody have any info? Thanks. -Nick

Reply to
NickT

Odds are very good that you do not need the downstream sensor.

AutoZone auto parts stores will run the codes for you (if you're in Calif., you have to run the codes yourself, but they will give you the scan tool to use in the parking lot) and tell you which sensor you need.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I replaced my upstream sensor in my 97 TJ recently. Napa sells the OEM type sensors for around $60.

HG97TJ