98 XJ - CHECK ENGINE LIGHT -- HELP!!!

Anybody know how to diagnose a Check Engine Light on a 98 XJ, 4.0l, Auto??? I spent the day wheelig with no issues. The family and I left on our pilgrimage to Wally World and half way there the check engine light came on. The jeep then wouldn't get out of 2nd gear. Any ideas?? I have a big trip planned and need to get the heep fixed fast and cheap!

Thank you very much in advance, Jeff Oosterhouse

Reply to
'98 XJ Classic

Sounds like it's in "limp in mode". The fact that the light came on means a sensor picked up something. What that something is you will have to turn the ignition on and off three times (don't engage the starter) then turnit on and count the flashes that the light comes on. My 97 Cherokee Sport also give the code on the odometer It will most likely start with one flash- pause- two flashes =12 and then give your code. It will end up with 55. After you find the code you can go to

and find out what it is. Dave

Reply to
davebz1a