99 JGC Alignment probs ?

Hey all,

I have a '99 JGC Laredo with almost 62K miles on it. Got it 3 years ago with 22K on it. The tires were, for the better part, new. About a year and a half ago I replaced the front tires and had an alignment. The original tires had wore badly on the outside.

With the new tires and alignment all was good for a while and the fronts started wearing on the outside again, noticed it before the rest of the tread was affected and had another alignment. Noticed the other day that the front tires were going to need replaced again soon because of the outside wear, A G A I N.

Any ideas as to what may be going on ? I can't afford new tires and alignments every year and a half. Please don't suggest a rotation. I'm not planning on that until I'm satisfied they are all going to wear evenly. Planning on replacing the stock shocks with Bilsteins, then new tires, and another alignment. Should I have the dealership look at the front control arms and bushings ???

Any help appreciated.

erthmun

Reply to
erthmun

tim bur

Suggest slowing down on corners.

Else, try another alignment shop and have them double check the toe in.

Brian

Reply to
Bulletsnbrains

Bulletsnbrains did pass the time by typing:

Check camber also Which on the solid axle can be due to someone jacking the front end via the diff. (or by hitting a suitibly sized rock)

Jeep offers offset ball joints to adjust camber but if the axle is bent there isn't much you can do but replace it.

Good ref but not for Jeep specs

DougW

Reply to
tim bur

The new differentials and axles are too weak to hold the weight of the vehicle, so if you jack them up by the pumpkin, the axle tubes bend down which throws either the rear wheel camber way off and/or destroys axle bearings.

I haven't heard of this happening on the front because I haven't seen anyone stupid enough to jack the front up by the pumpkin with all that engine weight on top of it or because the front pumpkin is off center maybe.

You might want to keep this in mind for the units that suddenly need off set or adjustable ball joints....

I take that back about not hearing about the front ones being bent. We are likely discussing that in this thread and that is likely the reason for the afterthought part or adjustable ball joint eh?

Mike

tim bur wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
tim bur

You are posting in HTML by the way....

I wonder what is causing the front axle tubes to bend then?

You have to bend something to knock the camber out I would think. Are people just slamming curbs with them or something to bend them?

Bent tubes is the only reason you would need to add off set ball joints and they now offer them aftermarket.

Mike

tim bur wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
tim bur

Thanks for the input y'all. Didn't mean to cause a "stir" in here. Will have to put a bug up the dealerships a$$ to check the tie rods and ball joints and anything else that might possibly be the cause. Of course, the first idea of slowing in the corners might be a good idea also 8) All the miles on this are street with the occasional "coquina highways" we have here down in coastal south carolina. So, unless a previous accident or hard driving over logs was what the first owner did I can't imagine what would cause a bent tie rod. If that's the case it seems the dealer misrepresented the vehicle when I bought it. Either way, I'll let you know what the verdict is. Thanks again all !

erthmun

tim bur wrote:

Reply to
erthmun

'Stirs' can be fun and educational.

If nothing is obviously bent too bad, then those adjustable ball joints might be the trick to getting it back proper. Cheaper than a new front end anyway...

Mike

erthmun wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Interesting. Are you in the snow belt? Maybe those are for folks that tag curbs on the snowy roads?

Mike

tim bur wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain