99 TJ fuel gauge problem

I know TJ fuel gauge accuracy is less than perfect, but I have a problem with my gauge lately where it works about half of the time and shows E half of the time. When it fails, usually turning the jeep off and back on will fix it. It either works OK or not at all. Yesterday for the first time it showed normal level for a few seconds and then slowly went to E and stopped working. Does this sound like a bad connection, defective sender, computer, or something else? I have an extended warranty for two more months, but if I don't use it for anything the full amount (~$1k) should be refunded to me in October. If this is a simple fix I can do myself, I would rather do it and keep the warranty $$, but if it is a computer problem or something big, I can use the warranty. Going to the dealer for diagnostics will count as using the warranty. Any help? Thanks.

David C. Moller

I've tried thumping the dash with no effect. Everything else in the cluster works great, it's only the fuel gauge & low fuel light going to E. It seems to either work perfectly or not at all.

Unless I get some other idea, I'll probably drop the tank & check the wiring & then the sender. Seems like turning it off and back on would not fix the problem if it was a bad sender.

Is there a way to diagnose this from the computer?

I did once have a Ford van that would go into "limp home mode" occasionally and stay in second gear because of a weak fuel pump. I could temporarily fix this problem by turning the car off and back on.

Ya, doesn't sound like a connection then.... I'm at a loss.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

Don't know if there's any connection, but there was a recall for fuel gage senders on the 97 Cherokee for erratic readings. Don't know what other models it might extend to, but my 97 Sport had the same symptoms you described.

Reply to
Lynn Malmberg

According to the dealer there are no recalls on this vehicle.

He said there are no computer diagnostics from the fuel pump or sender, and if all other gauges are working properly the problem could only be the sender or related mechanical parts such as the float. The sender is $51 but out of stock. I'll get an estimate to see if I want to replace the sender, let them do it, or live with it. I'll check wiring connections first, but probably keep my $$ and replace the sender myself when the tank is low.

I always trust the odometer more than the fuel gauge and fillup every

200 miles.