99 XJ Cherokee questions

We finally found a 5-speed 99 Cherokee. Looking for several months. At a used car dealer. Would never had gone there but no private party sales available, it seems.

We are in the Denver Metro area.

It is a Cherokee Sport. Amethyst (purple). We wanted light color, but... Dual air bags, ABS brakes, all that modern stuff. Jeep dealer salesman said they only made 5% manual Cherokees. I believe that.

We have had 2 87 XJ's, still have one of them. It seems they have made some improvements on the 99.

It has all 3 skid plates, were these standard?

My first 87 (Pioneer) had no skid plates and I had to buy them and put them on. Second 87 (Laredo) had them but I don't know if they were an option or not.

It has a bad front wheel (left side) bearing. My mechanic will fix Tuesday. Looks like the transfer case has been taken apart. What were the repair records like for these?

I want to put a class III receiver hitch on it. Any suggestions?

Trailer hitches on the 87 went on above the gas tank skid plate (gas tank, then hitch, finally skid plate, then bolts). It looks like this hitch would go below the skid plate (i.e. keep skid plate there, mount hitch with skid plate in place). Right?

The manual says not to hook lights directly to the trailer but to use an approved trailer wiring harness. Failure to do so could damage the electrical system of the vehicle. Are they talking about a standard

6-pin plug (I have a trailer with separate turn signals) or a turn-signal/brake light interface and a standard 4-pin plug (I also have trailers with no separate turn signals)? Or are they talking about something more complicated than that?

What would have come with the "towing package"? It does have the extra electric fan. Manual transmissions do not have oil coolers AFAIK.

On the 87's you had to connect wires to the tail lights themselves to connect the trailer wiring harness. Is there a special connector already there in this vehicle (or would there have been one if it came with a towing package).

With air bags, can I still put on a 'roo bar (brush bar, bull bar, depending on where you learned about these bars). I have one from an 87 which bolted onto the frame underneath, not really that great if you hit something but a good place to carry the Hi-Lift Jack.

If that won't fit, I have a bumper with bar on the 87. Will that fit the

99?

Where do you recommend I go to get a shop manual? Last time I ordered them from Chrysler. Probably will do that again?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Charles.

Reply to
Charles