A/C coil in a '99XJ

My freon all leaks out within 3-4 days and dye shows my coil is the leaking culprit. I'm told by two mechanics that to replace my original Chrysler a/c coil, the whole dashboard has to come out. Seats first. And 5 years is about max on these things. Meaning, I'll have to do this again in a few years. Does that sound right?

One shop (Jeep Dealership) estimates nearly $900 and a full day in the shop (they usually underestimate). The other shop (Independent) estimates nearly $1200 and almost a week in the shop (they usually OVERestimate).

Has anyone else here had quality probs with a Chrysler a/c coil? Is Chrysler, perchance, making higher quality coils now than when I bought mine 5 years ago? If not, is there a source for a higher quality coil than Chrysler's? I'm not looking forward to doing this again in just a few more years.

Any words of wisdom that anyone care's to share on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
HeBjeepN

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The air in my 99XJ is still ice cold, the dealership did have to add some freon to it about 2 years ago, maybe a can of R132 I don't remember, but as far as these going out every 5 years is not true, you would have heard about it more in the group. BTW Bill, the picture of the dash removed is not from a XJ, maybe an older WJ?

Kevin in Iowa

99 XJ
Kevin in Iowa

I'm also having a bad freon leak in my '95 GC, but I havent found out where the leak is yet. How did you see the UV dye leaking from the coil? Did you take off the blower motor in order to see it?

I am asking since I plan on doing my own UV dye leak test but the only thing I cant readily visualize is the evaporator coil.

Anyone have the GC factory shop manual on how to take apart the evaporator/blower assembly? I'd like to see some PDFs of how to do this.

Thanks.....

Reply to
TJM

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
mic canic

Air in mine was still ice cold until last week. It's never had freon added until then. The guy that recharged it told me he had replaced several "A"coils lately in XJs like mine so he added dye while he was at it. The cold air lasted 4 days. I went back in, he checked under the hood with a black light and found nothing. But found dye in the air vents inside. His diagnosis, bad coil in the dash. So I went by a dealer shop and asked about coil longevity. Shop guy said yeah, they've replaced quite a few even earlier than 5 years. So here I am,double checking and looking for advice and/or comments. Thanks everybody for that. Rick

99XJ
Reply to
M2slo2cht

No, used a blacklight to check everything. Nothing under the hood but found dye in the vents inside the vehicle.

Rick

Reply to
M2slo2cht

HeBjeepN wrote:

Reply to
M2slo2cht

Reply to
HeBjeepN

Reply to
HeBjeepN

Reply to
HeBjeepN

Ahh good....that sounds relatively painless.

I just want to find out where the leak is......pulling down the dash is for when I am ready to replace the coil.

Reply to
TJM

I had my '95 GC stock A/C evaporator replaced (under warranty) after 4 yrs, but now 6 yrs. later it may have to be replaced again! Aargh!

Why do these evap. coils go bad within 5 yrs? Does the freon react with moisture to form acid and thus corrode the coil that much faster? Please enlighten me.....

Reply to
TJM

Talked to another dealer shop this afternoon. Said that Chrysler extended the warranty on Grand Cherokee evaporators from 3 years to 7due to so many complaints of factory defects. Unfortunately for me, XJs aren't included. I didn't ask which GC model years but you should be able to find out from any dealer.

The independent shop I talked to said the probs they've seen involved the the seam around the outside edges. Apparently not put together very well and they just separate.

Rick

Reply to
HeBjeepN

Smells like another big class-action lawsuit brewing just like the exhaust manifold debacle.

DaimlerChrysler must love spending their budget on lawyers instead of engineers.....

Reply to
TJM

Reply to
HeBjeepN

Reply to
mic canic

Dealer quoted me $900 to $1000 depending what needed to be replaced.

My XJ's lasted 3 years 2 days. Yep, just 2 days out of warranty. Talked to dealer owner, he gave me a deal. Parts under warranty, and labor at warranty rate($20lower he says) My total cost was $472.

If I had to do it with a 5 year old jeep, I guess I would have done it in my driveway and used aftermarket parts, they just gotta be better than OEM. It helps that I have access to leak detectors, vaccumm pumps, R134a, and refrigerant charging systems at my job.

Luck, Brian

Reply to
Bulletsnbrains