a/c leak - compressor

Found my a/c leak today - dye all over the front of the compressor at the seam where the flat plate bolts onto the front end. I don't see any leak down by the shaft, but I assume that it would be just good practice to change the shaft seal while I'm in there. Biggest question I have is where to find the gasket/seal kit to rebuild this thing. This is an 88 MJ and I'm going the whole route from R12 to R134a. What compressor do I ask about if I go to someplace other than the dealr for the seals? Any thoughts on the cheapest place to find the parts and any hints on pulling the clutch off the shaft?

I've got a good vacuum pump and all the scales/guages - what do I need to pay attention to besides the accumulator/dryer while I'm flushing the system before I refill?

Reply to
Will Honea

I have used these guys

Coasty

I'm impatient, so I tried the dealer here: 5-7 day delivery on special order!

A couple of local parts houses have the gasket sets in stock - but who made that compressor? I thought it was Sanden but they list kits for both that and York for that year. Dealer only list one part number and the build sheet for my 88 MJ agrees that it is in fact that part but WTF IS that part? Damned 2 hour repair job has taken longer than that just to find the stupid gaskets I need.

Reply to
Will Honea

Sanden was also known as Sankyo also Tecumseh parts were used in the 80s

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty