a lot of extra power from a 258CI inline six CJ7

I want to see how much emission legal power I can get out of my 258CI. Inline six with just bolt on parts. I will be doing that this last weekend in February 2005. Any one who has dealt with these modifications, any advice would be greatly appreciated, You can e mail me at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Bolt on parts, Bolt on parts "They said it was easy, I'm hoping it is." I bought the Holley 390 cfm carburetor / the Offenhauser 4 bbl intake manifold / Holley fuel pump / Pace Setter headers / K&N filter / D.U.I. Distributor / Cintech wiring harness / 86 Wide track high strength axels and lockers / M.O.R.E. spring over, shackle reversal, lift kit... I will document these modifications to help any one it can, with problem foresight. Like I said any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will list all pros and cons I can find with these "bolt on parts". I will be doing all of this with no automotive experience, or back ground. Wish me luck, and If you know what problems to look out for, let me know. I will start documenting and posting full results and in the end it will be dino tested. With current stock engine problems I have created, and I've tried to fix, I'm getting 12 miles to the gallon and 84 horse power. I should be getting 17 miles to the gallon, and 115 horse power, if it ran properly. "they say to expect 250 horse power with all modifications and 10% better that stock fuel economy increase, They also said I might get 300 horse power out of it? They also said it's easy bolt on parts. I'll let you know.

Reply to
CJ7 Casey

Ditch the K&N -they pass a lot of dirt. I can't see you getting 250 hp without changing the cam and pistons to much higher compression ones. The

4.0 litre head is meant to be good for another 40 hp so I have read. Most interested to see your results.

Dave Milne

Good luck, be interesting to see the results

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Well............

I am running an 86 with an Accel SuperCoil for hot spark, the timing advance 'ported', the stock Weber-Carter BBD carb unplugged and manually set up, the 'Nutter Bypass' or no emissions computer working, stock manifold with a straight 2" pipe back to a Dynomax 'Super turbo' high flow muffler, 3.31 gears turning 33" mud tires. In Canada it is a Utility vehicle and don't require a Cat.

I get a sweet 23 US mpg running at 65 mpg and passed the last emissions with 15 ppm HC and 0.16% CO.

1st gear will light up my 33's way too easy when turning onto a 40 mph road so I have to watch the pedal, 2nd pulls 'fast' up to 50 mph turning 4400 rpm, 3rd is the power gear and hauls hard up to 75 mph or so, 4th buries the needle easy and no freakin' way do I want to find out how fast 5th goes.

My speedometer is exact according to many checks with a GPS.

My total cost was about $45.00 for the Accel coil. The Nutter which puts the computer to sleep cost a couple bucks for wire, solder and heat shrink and gave me a sweet 25% seat of the pants power and mileage boost with at least a 10 mph increase in each gear and the ability to actually get the rpm up to the top at 4500 for the 'red line'.

I think the biggest boost anyone gets from 'any' mod to the engine is because the computer has to be put out of it's misery for 'any' mods.

New carb = kill computer = instant 25% power boost.

New Fuel injection = kill computer = instant 25% power boost.

MSD Ignition = kill computer = instant 25% power boost.

Or you can just stay stock and kill the computer = instant 25% power boost!

I wish you luck and will look forward to reading about the improvements you hope for.

If or when I modify anything I will pay close attention to performance increases. I think my 2" exhaust could use a set of headers and a 390, but my manifold isn't broke and my carb purrs so I have no urge to upgrade it. It runs pretty sweet for me now..... :-)

Mike

CJ7 Casey wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"and a 390" what do you mean?

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

an AMC 390 v8 ? If I remember Bill 3 correctly, they came in the AMC Rebel or was it the Javelin ? They also did a 401 in the J series FSJs.

appreciated.

Reply to
Dave Milne

The Holly 390 referred to in the original post. The larger exhaust with headers is a waste and can lower torque sometimes if you don't have a matching intake upgrade. A 390 is borderline too big for the 258 I think but is the best match if you don't like the BBD's.

Mike

Pi-eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

No no, I 'like' my 258, it hauls butt nice and gets decent mileage and when I had a choice during the frame up rebuild, I stayed with one.

The 390 is the Holly the OP was talking about that goes with the larger exhaust is what I was referring to.

Mike

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Someday I might want a Jeep 'toy' like that, but mine is still my daily driver. I 'like' the power and mileage I get from the 258.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

so with a 2.25" header and a new carb (sans pollution crap) am I going to be over exhausted?? or will the carb keep up

improvements

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

That setup is supposed to behave well although some Holly's have issues on inclines I think I read here. Some folks opt for a Weber.

I don't feel over exhausted with 2" and I did have stock to compare, got a boost I think, so I don't think the 2.25 would be overkill.

Mike

Pi-eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

that engines so clean...nothing like my leak box

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, I still get really good performance from the old thing so I really have no urge to upgrade it. It is super easy to toss a $20.00 carb kit in it every couple years and it goes like a scalded cat still with 23 mpg.....

It is easy to set the mix and passes emissions set up manually as is so why screw with it eh?

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have an aluminum cover.changed the gasket, didn't leak for a couple months.

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

It's not leaks! It is "external oiling" :-).

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

I guess...it burns no oil but I swear there's a freakin gallon under the hood,

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper