A lot of play in my stick shift Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 1983 toyta 4X4 pickup. And there is a lot of play in my stick shifter. (it was like that when I bought it) And The shop says I need a new transmission now. And they said to me that it should not be on the road even. And that doe's not sound right to me. The transmission works fine it shifts in all the gears fine. It just has a lot of play in the shifter thats all. Please Help me I do not want to pay 550 dollars at the junkyard for a new transmission. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

I think I can also post a video on youtube if I have to, The only thing I would I have to see if I can find a video cam. From someone (I do not have one). Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

OK Jamie, why are you asking a bunch of Jeep guys about your Toyota?

Is the shifter internal or external? (I expect it's internal) I see there is a shift lever bushing listed for those trucks, have you tried changing that?

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Better yet, find a Toyota group and ask them about your trans.

Reply to
bllsht

I did ask a toyota group and they said a bushing also. And I am not sure what you mean by is the shifter internal or external?? Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

I am sorry I am so use to asking you guys for help I forgot you are Jeep guys not toytoa guys. Sorry :( Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Jamie, some transmissions have internal shifters, that is if you look at the transmission you will see the shift lever sticking out of it, I think most modern transmissions are like that. Other transmissions have levers on the outside that actually control the gears inside, say one lever that shifts between 1st and Reverse, and another that shifts between 2nd and 3rd. There is then a set of rods or cables that connect those levers to the shifter. That kind of setup is common on older American cars (the kind I'm most familiar with)... if you see an old muscle car with a "Hurst" shifter what someone has done is replace the stock external shifter with an aftermarket one.

The bottom line is if the shifter is external and worn you can relatively easily replace it, if it's internal the transmission has to come apart to fix it.

If it were me I'd find out what that bushing is, especially as the Toyota guys were suggesting the same thing, if there is a chance thats that problem it should be a lot easier and cheaper to replace that than a whole transmission!

Reply to
JeffDeWitt

No problem, it may not be a Jeep question but it IS a vehicle question and has no mention of goats .

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

It's OLD! I have a lot of play in my stick shift too and... oh, wait, you mean the truck don't you....

I really doubt it'll hurt anything. Bushings wear, etc. You can browse used car lots and see if it's typical of a Toyota with similar miles but I really doubt it's anything that is dangerous as long as it shifts properly.

Reply to
XS11E

Thanks for all the input. And what type of bushing should I say I need when I go in to buy it on friday? Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Jamie,

You have to look at the parts to see exactly which ones are worn. As I remember in these types of shifters there is a ball with grooves in it on the lower part of the stick shift, that fits in a socket on top of the transmission. It would have pins to keep it in alignment and a cap and spring to hold it in place. Any of these parts could be worn. The lower end of the shifter, where it fits into the shift rails, could be worn also. You just don't know until you take the shifter apart to see what is what, unless this is a common problem and you run into an experienced Toyota mechanic. I remember one case a long time ago, on a Corolla or something, where I had to build up the ball by welding it, cut new grooves in it, and replace the pins. We didn't spend more than $5.00 for parts but the labor was considerable. Maybe you will get lucky and the spring is just broken.

Good luck,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I don't know anything about Toyotas (I think I drove one once), but when Jamie was first asking I looked up shifter parts for it and the only thing listed was a bushing, and the Toyota guys have also mentioned that as a possibility. Not sure just what that bushing is but it seems like a good place to start.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

If this is the 5 speed, you can get a rebuild kit for a couple hundred dollars. Your transmission type should be on the vehicle ident tag on your firewall.

Depending on where you live, there are a few japanese transmission rebuild wholesalers around los angeles. You might also check craigs list, etc. as the transmissions go for about a hundred on up depending on the market. Might want to check these folks out... they appear to be geek level toyota folks:

Plus some of your local 4 wheel parts places might have one that doesnt show up on their web site.

As for not supposed to be on the road, you might want to ask them what the heck they are expecting. It just comes to a halt, locks, up, drops oil, doesnt shift, etc. it isnt gonna explode. By any chance is that a transmission specialty [ripoff] chain?

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Probably something like the one on the AX shifter - cap that fits on the end of the rod and rides in the rail slots. I've also seen plastic cups around the ball on the shifter that would wear out.

Reply to
Will Honea

That makes sense, and it sure sounds like things would get sloppy if it were worn out.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Transmission chains are good at installing rebuild kits. A rebuild kit won't include a standard transmission shifter bushing, ball, pins or whatever it is that's bad. Like I said, take it apart, don't drop stuff inside the transmission, take digital pictures, then go to the dealer parts department and find out what parts they will sell you. Maybe you can find a manual online or at Autozone. Sometimes Haynes, Chilton's or Motors Manuals are good. There are Jeep sites with the type of exploded diagrams that you need; there may be for Toyota. The Jeep AX5 and AX15 are after all Japanese transmissions. The parts might even be the same.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Good point, Earle. I had forgotten that the AX15 I swapped into the MJ was a pull from a Toyota pickup. I found that out when I queried the rebuilder about the vent cap (mine had a solid plug in it) and he told me more than I ever wanted to know about who used what .

Reply to
Will Honea

Well the transmission is really hard to drive if you do not how to drive it. And that is why I think they said it should not be on the on the road I think they were being safe then sorry. And there have been a few times when I went to shift down into 4th from 5th and put in to

2nd (only 2 times) and that maybe why they said that. Thanks Jamie
Reply to
Jamie Mello

Oh and this was not a transmission shop. It was a auto repair shop. That I bet know very little to nothing about transmissions. And they said something about the top half of the transmission sheared off. I think that is a lie. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Look in your local yellow pages for transmission shops or aftermarket toyota truck specialty shops.

Or head for the internet and pick up a new, rebuilt, or used transmission or a rebuild kit and the special tools you'll need to rebuild it yourself.

And keep a cell phone or a good set of walking shoes in the truck, as the worst case things that can happen if it blows is you wear out the leather on a set of shoes.

Reply to
Lon Stowell