About big off road tires, lifts and insurance claims

Ok ... has anyone met with an accident and filed a claim to be met with something like ... well geez, no wonder you spun out, rolled and trashed that school bus ,,, yer jeeps 4" above normal and you're driving with tires way bigger than yer brakes can handle and they're not road tires and ,,, buddy, you're on your own. Just wondered ...

Reply to
bowgus

L.W.(ßill)

Is a "real Jeep" street legal?

Reply to
Jay Stuler

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

No ... no claims by me, no buses trashed :-) ... but I am interested in any problems anyone might have run into with a modified vehicle. Picture this ... there's a lawyer coming after you for a mil or so, and your insurer says yer on yer own ...

Reply to
bowgus

Nope, my insurance co paid out ($$$$) just fine when I rolled mine this spring in Moab. Its lifted (6", 33x12.5's), locked, and loaded.

Reply to
jbjeep

Do Real Jeeps (tm) have street-legal seat belts? Are there even such laws regarding seat belts?

Reply to
Jay Stuler

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Note that vehicles prior the federal mandate for original standard equipment are exempted. My now departed 1963 Dodge Dart had no seat belts in it when I bought it. Front belts were an extra cost option, but the threaded holes were there so I installed them. No such luck for the back seat! Shoulder belts came in in the late 1960s.

So, it depends on the vintage of your Jeep.

Note also that the California code only applies to vehicles operated "on a highway". If you are entirely offroad (trailer the Jeep to the boondocks), you might be okay.

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW