ABS vs Part-Time 4x4 ?

I've got a Jeep Grand Cherokee and this issue of anti-lock brakes functionality came up with regards to the use of Part-Time 4x4 in snowy weather.

We know how Part-Time mode operates on the four wheels. Given that, how does this affect a vehicle with anti-lock brakes, since ABS monitors the rotation of each wheel? If all four wheels are moving at the same rate, don't you lose the ability of the ABS to independently monitor each wheel speed and brake optimally/properly on a slippery surface that may NOT affect all four wheels?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Y.

Dunno about a GC ... but my Subaru had 4 channel ABS and AWD. The ABS simply prevents any wheel from locking when braking thus retaining full steering ability ... geez that was well put ... if only I could talk that good in the real world.

Reply to
bowgus

Darned few Grand Cherokees have a part-time 4x4 system, are you sure your Grand Cherokee has a Selectrac system that includes the part-time

4x4 mode? And a part-time 4x4 system does not lock the wheels together so they are in "lock-step" with each other, the part-time 4x4 system only locks the front and rear axles together...so tires are still free to lock up on one side.

Jerry

Jim Y. wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

My 96 GC Laredo I6 do have selectrac with part-time

"Jerry Bransford" a écrit dans le message de news: ZA2Dd.11245$232.6893@fed1read05...

Reply to
Patrick

Yep, some Grand Cherokees do come with Selectrac, it's just pretty rare since few dealers order that option that they seldom really understand. :)

Jerry

Patrick wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes, it's a true part time 4x4. (I also have Full Time 4WD also.)

The 2004 GC Laredo still come with it. Limited/Overland do not. In 2005 Jeep does away with Selectrac all together for GC.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Y.

In my opinion you should pull the relays when you are in 4x4 or there should be a switch. ABS is only good for dry pavement. See Bill's link... I also have seen a bunch of ABS vehicles calmly just keep on going totally out of control until that tree finally stops them. On the street in snow, that would be another vehicle or power pole.

The collision fixing folks must just love ABS come winter. LOL!

If you have the owners manual for your Jeep, it should warn you to stay off the brakes in the snow. Both my manuals state to use the gears to almost stop, then hit the brakes. The gears can hold you at the 'threshold' braking point really well with a little practice.

Mike

"Jim Y." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

According the the brochure I received with my TJ MIke, a TJ's ABS is disabled at speeds below 5mph.

Jerry

Mike Roma> In my opinion you should pull the relays when you are in 4x4 or there

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

That is fine except when you are doing 6+ mph and hit the brakes. The ABS kicks in and stays on until you let off the pedal or roll to a stop. (or tag the tree)

If the ABS magically turned off as you slowed past 5 mph, then you could lock the brakes and stop. It sure doesn't appear to do that because the wheels 'don't' lock.

Mike

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Mind you ... I would not buy a vehicle with ABS that is sometimes up to it's axles in water ... like my jeep sometimes is.

Reply to
bowgus

I have ABS, Im always in hurry and flooring the jeep, ABS save my ass a few time from rear ending Slower driver. But I WOULD DISCONNECT offroad....

ABS WINTER OK SUMMER NO

My 2 cents

Reply to
Patrick

But they DO lock and grind to a stop. My TJ has ABS and I've never had one single problem off road. Honestly has anyone complaining about Jeep's ABS ever actually driven a Jeep with ABS?

Now I have driven ABS systems that behave like some are saying Jeep system do, and strangely enough they were all in GM cars and trucks. My GMC pickup truck's ABS cycled quite nicely as I rolled into a slippery intersection. But that was before I learned how to drive an ABS equipped car. When you are posed with a situation where the ABS is cycling inappropriately (keep in mind my TJ has never done this) you, . . . . . pump the brakes. duh, just like they taught you in drivers ed. By definition the ABS works in slippery conditions and in off roading you find your self in slippery conditions all the time. Heck that is part of the fun. So if you don't know how to drive, don't blame the equipment.

Sorry for the tough love ;-) Dean

Reply to
Dean

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Mike, you should have driven my TJ before I had to disable my ABS system because it did precisely that. You don't own a TJ do you?

Jerry

Mike Roma> That is fine except when you are doing 6+ mph and hit the brakes. The

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Been there done that, well only in snowy, slippery parking lots . The brake peddle bucks and kicks under my foot and you can hear the system making a grr grr grr sound. Other tests I've done are 4 low, 20+ mph, jam on the brakes. The system cycles until I get down to some low speed and then the tires lock and I grind to a halt. I don't know what the exact speed is when the brakes lock, but I'd guess that its between 10 and 5 mph. Braking distance is about the same as when I pump the brakes.

IMHO ABS isn't really of much use on the dry, or for that mater for most drivers. I read somewhere that most drivers simply jam on the brakes and drive straight into the obstacle rather than braking and steering around the problem. And for those drivers ABS is truely a bad thing because it increases braking distances. Unfortunately there are those out there that don't know how to drive and all the ABS/non ABS in the world isn't going to make a bit of difference for them.

But, anybody can disable any ABS system simply by pumping the brakes. They had a big advertising campaign here a couple of years ago telling people to not pump the brakes on ABS equipped cars in slippery conditions. These guys that are rolling down hills with the ABS cycling (and I don't believe they are driving Jeeps that are in proper running order) simply need to lift their foot and put it down again, repeat. I know that is easier said than done, cause I had that rolling downhill experience with my GMC.

Personally I use ABS as an early warning system on the slippery. Sometimes it is hard to tell if the roads are just wet or if they are icy. If I brake and it cycles I am clearly going too fast and need to slow down. And if I ever need to brake and steer around a problem it is one less thing to pay attention to. Basically I've delegated the emergency braking to the computer. However, delegation does not mean abdication, yah still gotta drive.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

I have just spotted for the poor suckers.....

It 'really' hurts my feelings when someone I am spotting for just calmly drives into the freaking tree!

100% for 'sure' his front wheels were turning right up to the end!

He then did the same run a second time with the relays pulled. Bingo, he could stop before hitting the tree and do the 3 point turn around the corner.

He did this two different days with the same results. Same deal for another TJ out with us.

There is one other spot where the TJ's go totally out of control and the spotter better be off to the side or they will get run over because there is no way that Jeep is stopping until it hits bottom.

I can't comment as to why your aftermarket ABS doesn't work the same as the GM's or the stock TJ's though as you imply below.....

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

No I don't own one, I just have spotted for them on the trail.

It 'really' hurts my feelings when someone I am spotting for just calmly drives into the freaking tree!

100% for 'sure' his front wheels were turning right up to the end!

He then did the same run a second time with the relays pulled. Bingo, he could stop before hitting the tree and do the 3 point turn around the corner.

I have never trusted ABS off road since and do not recommend it for 4x4 use. If I or anyone needs the extra control of 4x4 driving, they need braking control too.

Mike

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain