AC

The AC compressor wouldn't come on in my 97 Cherokee Sport. I added 2 cans of r134a with sealant. The compressor came on and the AC got very cold, but I could smell this smell like alcohol inside the car. The next day I tried the AC again, and the compressor wouldn't start. I pressed the low side Schrader valve, and not even a "pfft". I guess the system is empty again. I didn't see any evidence of that green sealant at any hose couplings, condensed, accumulator etc. I have heard that the evaporator cores are common to go bad and the fact that I smelled something in the car could point to that. Any thoughts?

Reply to
davebz1a

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net did pass the time by typing:

More than likely.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Sure sounds like you nailed it. Before you disassemble the whole dash to get at that sucker, I would invest in having someone run a sniffer around with a little R134 in the system just to localize the real leak

- I've seen some sneaky freon leaks that even the floresent red dye didn't mark, especially around hose connections.

Reply to
Will Honea

In news: snipped-for-privacy@anon.none.net, Will Honea from was injured because:

| On Mon, 3 May 2004 01:40:46 UTC snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: | || The AC compressor wouldn't come on in my 97 Cherokee Sport. I || added 2 cans of r134a with sealant. The compressor came on || and the AC got very cold, but I could smell this smell like || alcohol inside the car. The next day I tried the AC again, || and the compressor wouldn't start. I pressed the low side || Schrader valve, and not even a "pfft". I guess the system is || empty again. I didn't see any evidence of that green sealant || at any hose couplings, condensed, accumulator etc. I have || heard that the evaporator cores are common to go bad and the || fact that I smelled something in the car could point to that. || Any thoughts? | | Sure sounds like you nailed it. Before you disassemble the | whole dash to get at that sucker, I would invest in having | someone run a sniffer around with a little R134 in the system | just to localize the real leak - I've seen some sneaky freon | leaks that even the floresent red dye didn't mark, especially | around hose connections.

Or just put some air pressure on it (if it is leaking, it is 'probably' already contaminated) and listen for the leak.

Reply to
Joseph P