AC not blowing cool air

Jeep Cherokee Laredo 88mod, 6syl.Automatic 4L The AC is not blowing cold air, anything I can do ? What should I check ?

Thanks for all advice. Best Regards Geir R.Pettersson

Reply to
Fam_Pettersson

Fam_Pettersson did pass the time by typing:

Low refrigerant (freon)

Unless you have the proper equipment there isn't much you can check. Your 88 is most likely R-12 and that is not widely available anymore.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks, is it possible to refill with freon ? "DougW" skrev i melding news:ys6Ic.46438$Lh.7485@okepread01...

Reply to
Fam_Pettersson

Well, if some on had R-12 sitting around, it will cost several hundred $$ if you can get R-12. They make direct replacements R-402A or FR-12 which can be used as a 134a replacement. The entire system will have to be evacuated and recovered to about 500 microns. Once this is done the replacement refrigerant can be added. It is not something you can do unless you have the equipment.

Reply to
HarryS

Fam_Pettersson did pass the time by typing:

Freon is a brand name. There are several types of refrigerant out there, home use (R-22), and car use (R-12, R-134a). R-22 is not compatible with R-12 and R-12 is not compatible with 134a.

You have to use either R-12 or a "substitute" gas. Most local auto parts stores have these but none of them work for long.

The best soltion is to convert to 134a, but that will be expensive.

Reply to
DougW

Within the last month I bought from the original owner a 89 Cherokee. The AC had required recharging frequently over the years and her mechanic no longer had r12. I evacuated the systen and put in 2 cans of R134 one containing conditioner and compatable oil and it's working fine sofar. I can tell where it's been leaking because there was a oil/dirt build up around a fitting. I've refilled older r12 systems with r134 a few times on VW's and have found if the system was sound and just low on refigerant that it would work well.

Joe R.

Reply to
Jo Bo

It might be if your domain is in Norway and your local laws allow freon sales. You'd need a set of guages. Probably a good idea to find and fix the leak first.

Fam_Pettersson proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Maybe not... I had our '92 Volvo converted, and it was only $175 INCLUDING the gen-u-wine Volvo parts kit for the conversion... it was going to be at least that to recharge it with Freon, due to the cost of the stuff.

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

Wrong! R-402A or FR-12 is a direct replacement.

Reply to
HarryS

Well, you have two cheap alternatives. Before you try to refill be sure to tighten all connections.

There is ES-12a which is 50/50 propane/butane with a flame retardent. I got some for $8 a can from

Convert the fittngs to R-134a and us R-134a apparatus to dump one can in the system and see what happens. Apparently the car can catch on fire if you run into something or a hose bursts.

Another alternative is FREEZE-12 which is 80/20 mix of R134a and R142b. Not as good as R-12 or ES-12a but might be safer. It is slightly more expensive.

I have been using ES-12a for 2 years now in my SAAB 900 Turbo and it works well. This year also in my wife's SAAB. Jeep Cherokee 1 has a leak so bad it only lasts for hours. Cherokee 2 is still cooling on R-12.

Charles.

Reply to
Charles Stoyer

going to be at

!Hmmm! My guy never mentioned that option.

I'm happy with how it's working, at least.

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

Thanks does it mean that I can try to refill with R-402A if I find it here ?

Reply to
Geir R.Pettersson