AC Vibration

2001 WJ vibration felt when the AC comes on , then goes away when shut off .. replaced front fan cause it vibrated but cant seen to locate the source of vibrations off the AC turned on
Reply to
Mindy

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Engine vibration?

It could be engine load. Check all the rubber hoses, especially the brake booster hose for cracks or leaks. Those can cause a rough idle, which is made worse by the AC Compressor load.

Reply to
DougW

What I'd do first is to unplug the compressor. Does it still vibrate? If so, then it is elsewhere (fan, whatever...) and if the vibratrion goes away, the possibly the compressor is defective.

Reply to
PeterD

All good suggestions, one other set of items to check is to make sure that none of the supports for anything along the serpentine belt are cracked. I would expect a vibration to be visible in the serpentine if it is on the belt side of the A/C compressor.

Reply to
Lon

True, and a loose/worn tensioner can also cause the problem by allowing the belt to slip when the AC compressor puts it under load.

DougW

reply ... thanks to all for the replies .. belt doesn't seem to wobble .. will check hose for leaks .. can put gears in neutral and vibe goes down and disappears when AC is off

Reply to
Mindy

That tells me it's engine load related. That can be fuel and spark.

Any trouble/DTC codes?

Reply to
DougW

Overcharged?

Reply to
Apple2Steward

That is to say, could the _refrigerant_ be overcharged?

Excessively high refrigerant pressures will cause a vibration when the compressor cycles on.

Reply to
Apple2Steward

the AC has not been charged .. could be I need a tune up ??

Reply to
Mindy

At this point I'd suggest a checkup at a good AC shop.

Reply to
PeterD

thanks for all the input !! will try all an report back as soon as the problem is solved !! just dont have the money as all of us to go on a fishing trip ..thanks be to all,

Reply to
Mindy

In my `97 XJ the fan clutch was heading south. When the AC compressor kicked in it altered the load enough to make it vibrate.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

It may be a weak motor mount.

Reply to