adjusting the wheel bearings

manual hubs ....<

Depends what the condition of the bearings are once you get it all apart and cleaned up. Probably a good idea to strip it down first and make your parts list from there. You'll need seals for sure.

It should have two jam nuts to hold the bearing adj. You tighten the inner one to 50ft lbs to seat the bearing, then back it off 1/6th of a turn. You then run the outer jam nut down and torque to 50ft lbs, being careful not to turn the inner one.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I am going to be adjusting the front wheel bearings on my 86 cj7 with warn manual hubs because there is some play in them. what I am wondering is there anything that I should replace while I am in there? or anything I should buy at the auto part store before I open it up? is it a easy job? the only other wheel bearings I have done where on a utility trailer and all I did was tighten the nut till the wheel stopped spinning and then backed up the nut to the next whole and put the cotter pin in it. is this adjustment the same thing? thanks carmine

Reply to
Jet

Jet ( snipped-for-privacy@bestweb.net) wrote on Saturday 22 November 2003 09:10 am:

Carmine,

I just finished my last week, so it's all still pretty fresh.

It's pretty straight forward. If you're not short on cash, you can go buy both the inner and outer bearings for both sides, and return the ones you don't use. Even the lifetime warranty, made in USA ones are only about $8 each or so. If the original bearings are still there, you'll probably have to replace them. You can tap the races in and out with block of wood.

You'll also need two inner seals, as you can't get the inner bearing out without removing the seal. Some grease, and some degreaser (I usually ned up using brake cleaner). You may also want to buy the special socket to drive the nuts. It's about $10 or so on-line - I couldn't torque mine correctly without it.

It's also a good time to inspect your brakes.

I believe there's another post that accurately describes the torquing of the nuts.

Reply to
Michael White

One other thing, while you've got the hubs off, pull the spindles and replace the inner spindle seals and the needle bearing seals. They get overlooked and need to be replaced when you do the wheel bearings.

Reply to
Jerry McG