Aftermarket CJ Steering Box bracket

I'm sick of my stock steering box brackets on my CJ. Went to Moab this weekend and only did easy/moderate trails and the damn thing had bolts coming out again (the one in back you can't reach). I didn't use any locktight on the threads when I put it back together but I did use lock washers where I could and I try to check them frequently.

Then I think all of the moving around that the box did, loosened my pressure line from the pump. Nice steady leak. Of course you can't get a wrench on that worth a damn so it started to strip.. ended up leaking BAD. Drove two hours home stopping to fill it every 30 or so miles. It was leaking bad and was pretty much empty every time I stopped to check it... so I imagine I probably burned up my pump (not that I cared at the time). We'll see.

Anyway my question is has anyone used an aftermarket steering box bracket like this one?

Thoughts.. opinions.... I'm REALLY sick of messing with the stock one (tightening and re tightening). If I go aftermarket I will probably add the steering box brace as well. I'm only removing this one more time for repairs!

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

M.O.R.E. makes one as well.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Thanks. More curious if anyone has any advice about using them before I decide on a brand. I've looked at the Bigdaddy, samsoffroad, and MORE ones so far.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Hi Kevin,

Ditto on the "sick of"! I replaced mine with a one piece unit from Quadratec (looks allot like the one in your link). It's great, solid as a rock!

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries

JimG

There is a brace from Currie that goes across from the steering box and connects to the passenger side frame rail. You need one.

Jeff Strickland

I just installed a MORE bracket on mine, was easy to install, and it is going to be a very gloomy day before I break that one. After comparing the MORE to the stock bracket, I can see why the stock brackets break so easy. Also the currie bar would do a nice job, it braces right where mine was cracking, if I had that before I ruined mine the factory brace may still be good.

Fletcher