Aftermarket Coil a bit off specks. That ok? or what is a good replacement coil?

78 cj7 with a 258.

The coil is an aftermarket coil(installed by prior owner) and it tests ok in one test and just a bit out of the Haynes manual specks on three other tests. I don't think the coil is going bad but I think is not quite EXACTLY the original equipment part. How important it to have the EXACT coil in there that EXACTLY meets original equipment specks? The coil in there is real,real close to the right specks -see below-. The CJ was barely running when I bought, I tuned it to specks and reconnected vac lines loose connections etc and now it runs pretty good so I have no need to change the coil unless it is likely to cause some other electrical parts to fry on me.

TESTS:

For the primary coil Haynes says at 75 deg F 1.13 to 1.23 ohms mine tested at 1.4ohms. Haynes says at 200 deg F 1.5 ohms mine tested at

1.7 ohms.

For the Secondary coil Haynes says at 75 deg F 7700-9300 ohms my coil tested at 8600. Haynes says at 200 deg F 12000 ohms my coil tested at

9700 ohms.

If you think I should trash this sweet looking coil what unit should I look for as a stock/original replacement or would you recommend some high output coil etc and why not original equipment specks?

Thanks for your opinions!, Paul

More Details/description of coil:

--------------------------------- It is an aftermarket coil with no label or part numbers etc on it(my guess the sticker identifying it came off). It just a chrome run of the mill looking coil with "+" & "-" terminals. 12V-R stamped in the black top(I assume -R is for Resistor) it had an external resister mounted to the side of it that was not hooked up(I removed it for better looks). This is correct because the hot lead wire to the coil is a resistor wire that tests out at 1.35 ohms right exactly to specks ie the external resistor is not needed on the coil because it the resistance is engineered into the resistor wire.

Reply to
paul

How do you know your meter's accurate?

If the coil works, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
Beloved Leader

Also, comparing an aftermarket coil to stock specs can be a mistake. They usually do not have the same ohm readings as a stock coil, so without knowing who made the coil, I wouldn't say it doesn't meet spec since you aren't even sure what the specs are.

Chris