Aftermarket Fog Lamps - '93 JGC

I bought some Hella lamps to replace the factory fog lamps on my '93 JGC. The factory lamps attach to a bracket that extends above the bumper, and have two ears for a horizontal bolt through the lamp base.

The Hella's have the horizontal hole in the mount, but they are meant to attach to a supplied bracket that has a bolt that is supposed to drop through the bumper. I thnk I can make them work with the factory brackets by finding a 7/16" spacer to take up the extra space. I know many of you must have replaced these factory lamps with aftermarkets. Do you have any clever ideas about mounting to the factory mount, or should I just go to the hardward store and try to find some aluminum spacers?

Dick

Reply to
Dick

You want steel spacers/washers/nut to fill the hole. Aluminum will electrically react with the steel bracket and rot out really fast. One nut on either side might make up the space.

Mike

Mike Romain

Don't use aluminum, it will likely react with the bolt, etc. to corrode. Similarly avoid brass, copper. Steel works, but you may also want to consider fibreglass or hard plastic washers/bushings, particularly if you have a Dremel to trim them to exactly the right size.

Dick proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Dick, Heres Hella web page and click on customer support. It has FAQ and also an 800 numbeer.

hellausa.com

Steve in Michigan

97 TJ auto 6 stock
Reply to
popeyeball

Boy, I searched all over that site and couldn't find any faq or support pages.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Good point. I should have known that. Maybe a nylon spacer? I like your idea of using a couple of nuts. I may just find a couple that add up to 7/16"

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

That works, but my lamps are Hella, not KC's.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The Hella lights I have ground through the bracket.

Mike

Dick wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Then you would have ground issues Bill.... My Hella Black Magic's ground through the bracket.

Mike

Mike Romain